VOGONS

First post, by cdbaric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running DosBox on Ubuntu 7.04 on an AMD 2400+ with 1 gig memory.

I am running an nVidia 6200 128meg video card using the nVidia proprietary drivers.

This is connected to a 22" Acer LCD at 1680x1050.

DosBox starts fine and so does Word Perfect 5.1 in a console.

Here is the problem, when running full screen the bottom line is missing. The downside is the bottom line is very important - it has information about file names and position in document.

Why is the bottom of the screen missing?

Thanks for your help.

CD Baric
cdbaric@gmail.com

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Probably some incompatibility between DOSBox, SDL, X11 and your graphics driver. Maybe you can try to play around with the fullresolution settings in the dosbox config file??

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by cdbaric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried various changes to my Xorg screen from 1024x768 to 1680x1050 and then gone full screen but the result is always the same - the 25th line is missing from all my DOS games and Word Perfect when played full screen (ALT + Enter).

The entire screen is visible when in a console window, the problem is only when the app is changed to full screen.

CD Baric

Reply 7 of 8, by cdbaric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the hints, you have given me something to work on.

As a matter of fact I have changed a few variables so that at Full Screen mode the application/games doesn't fill the screen but is twice as large as window mode and the entire screen is visible - no lost 25th line.

I am now reliving my younger years playing such classics as Warcraft (1 & 2), Wolfenstien, Doom, Mech Warrior (My very first computer game), Raptor, Monkey Island and many others.

Thanks for that!

CD Baric

Reply 8 of 8, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like WB hit the nail with "Use those knobs and buttons of your monitor to move/resize the screen."

Here's the long explanation ...... (I have no idea how liquid displays work - they will probably be the same as below, but that's a guess)

CRT monitors often (usually) need to be tuned up for each video mode they have to display, especially when they use different refresh rates. When you switch fullscreen this is what is probably happening - the game/app may be trying to do fullscreen 320X240 @60Hz (or whatever), and your monitor needs to be adjusted to cope with that particular resolution/refresh rates.

Try this. Start Dosbox up and fire up the application that is missing the bottom of the screen.

Use your monitor adjustment buttons to fit it on screen - don't worry - monitors mostly remember these new settings on a per resolution/refresh rate basis, so you shouldn't be screwing up your normal view. ( If you have a really old CRT monitor then you may have little screen tuning wheels instead that remember nothing, bu they are fast to readjust.)

When your troublesome app fits in the screen, try Alt+Enter to switch it back to a window to make sure all is well.

You may have to do this a few times with fullscreen apps but most monitors released in the past few(lot) of years will remember each video mods settings and switch automatically when an app changes resolution/refresh rates.

Did this hep at all?