VOGONS

First post, by blacksheep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I've made awhile ago these couple of simple front end that just use KDialog (kde) or Xdialog (gtk) to ask for a few options and then for the program that the user wants to run.
It is very easy to setup. Just needs to set the windows partition and dosbox location in the top of the script file. Then, add an entry to your system menu to launch this simple, but yet very usefull script.
If you feel some feature is missing, just tell me that I will add it. If you want to distribute it with the DosBox package, go ahead.

Cheers,
Ricardo Cruz

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-dialog.tar
    File size
    10 KiB
    Downloads
    471 downloads
    File comment
    simple (k/x)dialog frontend
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by blacksheep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: Ooops, looks like the dialog didn't like spaces in filenames/paths. Nothing that a pair of commas won't fix.
Get this version instead of the above one.

Attachments

• Filename
    doxbox-dialog.tar
    File size
    10 KiB
    Downloads
    452 downloads
    File comment
    simple (k/x)dialog frontend
    File license

Reply 2 of 8, by XulChris

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why do you have two source files with virtually the same code? Why not just make xdialog a link to kdialog, and check $0 to see which one is called, then you can use the appropriate commands.

Reply 4 of 8, by blacksheep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for only replying now guys, but I am not a regular reader of this forum.

XulChris wrote:

Why do you have two source files with virtually the same code? Why not just make xdialog a link to kdialog, and check $0 to see which one is called, then you can use the appropriate commands.

That sounds like a good idea, but you know that it could get broken if users just copy one of the files into /usr/bin ...
I guess a good compromise would be to have a variable in the script like USE_XDIALOG=1 or 0, or instead having a variable like DIALOG=Xdialog or kdialog.
The best solution however would be if KDialog and Xdialog would become compatible with each other. 😉 There are some efforts in that way, but Xdialog wants to keep compatibility with cdialog, while KDialog developers feel it is better designed (which I agree) and they don't want to change.

elektroschock wrote:

A Kontrol Center integration serves best imho for several non-integrated config tools annoy a lot.

This is not a configuration tool. It's a launcher.
Anyway, I agree that non-integrated config tools suck, but the problem is that it is not easy to integrate them, and even harder (if not possible), if you want to support both kcontrol and gnome-control-center.
But like I said, this has nothing to do with configuration.

Reply 5 of 8, by blacksheep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New version: bundled the whole thing into a single file script that uses the proper command according to if it is installed and the desktop environment used. You may also force one in particular.
Also added zenity support.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.sh.gz
    File size
    1.3 KiB
    Downloads
    430 downloads
    File comment
    The simple dosbox launcher
    File license

Reply 6 of 8, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're already working with kdialog, you should really take a look at Kommander, which is a much advanced way of doing things you'd usually do with kdialog. It is part of the standard KDE system and allows you to design custom dialog windows. It was made exactly for the task you are trying to do.

Reply 7 of 8, by blacksheep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

If you're already working with kdialog, you should really take a look at Kommander, which is a much advanced way of doing things you'd usually do with kdialog. It is part of the standard KDE system and allows you to design custom dialog windows. It was made exactly for the task you are trying to do.

I just want something to use on the workstation so it has to be portable (thus it supports zenity, kdialog and xdialog). It doesn't need to be fancy, just to be a quick way to play a quick game.
(zenity doesn't correctly support file filters, which make you need more time to launch a game, but I sent a patch to them. Please vote it up!)

Anyway, kommander is a cool piece of software from what I have heard. If I were to do some more fancy interface, I would personally prefer to code it, using some RAD language (like Python and GTK) though.

Reply 8 of 8, by blacksheep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alrighty, a bare bones Python version.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.py.gz
    File size
    1.63 KiB
    Downloads
    298 downloads