VOGONS

First post, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think this is a good suggestion for the DosBox mapper.

Some old games like Elvira 2: Jaws of Cerberus, and many others RPG games, have a fixed position in the screen (a cross drawn), that when you click on it, it moves the personage to that direction. Many of those games don't allow to move the personage using the keyboard (like Elvira 2), that will be more confortable and fast, so... it will be a great idea to have the possibility to map the UP cursor key to a mouse click, sended to the X,Y coordinate where the UP direction in the cross is, so pressing the UP cursor key will be the same as clicking on the UP of the cross. The same with the DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT keys...

I attach an image to expleain this

Attachments

Reply 2 of 4, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's true... A mousse doesn't send coordinates, but individual "ticks" indicating up, down, left or right move.

So I think the solution is to search where in memory are the byte(s) that indicates mouse cursor location in the game, and make a trainer for that, so pressing a custom key will change those "mouse cursor location" bytes and send the click... Do you know if this can be technically be done?

Reply 4 of 4, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw8080 make me this loader (file attached) for Elvira 2: The jaws of Cerberus. It includes the source code (asm) if you want to see it.

The cursor keys are mapped to the forward, back, left, and right buttons, as you'd expect; pgup and pgdn are mapped to the up and down buttons, end is mapped to the "turn around" button. You can also use the equivalent keys on the keypad with numlock off, and the 5 key in the center is mapped to the "turn around" button because it seemed fitting.

To use the program just put it in the Elvira 2 folder and run the game with cerberus.bat as usual.

It perfectly works, now playing Elvira 2 is faster and more handy. Again, thanks ripsaw8080.

Attachments

• Filename
    elvira2_keys.zip
    File size
    1.77 KiB
    Downloads
    346 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception