VOGONS

Reply 40 of 56, by blueshogun96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does the card require a certain type of board to run? My desktop is a Dell B1000r (Pentium III) and runs my Riva128 just fine, so I assume it should work under Win98.

Reply 43 of 56, by blueshogun96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gah, the guy who was selling me the NV1 couldn't find it, or he sold it already. Dang dang dang! Looks like I'll have to continue doing this the hard way...

Reply 44 of 56, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you can also start working on porting to dosbox already available powervr emu till you get the NV1 card 😉 And I guess it won't be hard to get pvr card from any of vogons users too so you won't have to waste time for doing it the hard way 😉

Reply 46 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll make a wanted thread in AmiBay and see if someone has a card there....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 47 of 56, by blueshogun96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After throwing a mini-tantrum on ngemu, I found a seller. He has a Edge3D 3400 series too, with all of the accesories, manuals, and games! Now we'll see if the seller can verify it works. Looks pretty legit to me. It was a miracle I caught him when I did. He posted the offer 2 months ago and I thought I missed it, and happened to be on that day after 2 months of no activity.

robertmo wrote:

you can also start working on porting to dosbox already available powervr emu till you get the NV1 card 😉 And I guess it won't be hard to get pvr card from any of vogons users too so you won't have to waste time for doing it the hard way 😉

I'm sure the PowerVR cards won't be nearly as hard to find on ebay at least 😀

leileilol wrote:

i won't give mine up though

Wouldn't expect anything less, 🤣.

Reply 48 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@blueshogun96:
good news then, be sure to tell how this turns out... I am also looking for one on AmiBay , if you do get it from ngemu I'll close my ad 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 49 of 56, by blueshogun96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, my Diamond Edge 3D (3400XL) came in today! Thanks for your offer keropi, but now I have the most advanced one with all of the parts and games (except Virtua Cop). Now, I can REALLY cut loose... as soon as I learn how to properly access a physical address in 32-bit DOS. I know I sound n00bish for saying this, but that's one thing I never did learn. I think it would help if I did sometime soon because I'd like to take the time to find out what those undocumented registers are and what Toshinden does with them.

Reply 50 of 56, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There's no 32bit dos, you'll need some dos extender to switch to pmode and map the linear
address space 1 to 1 to the physica one. Then you can poke around in memory
(not that dos extenders are easy..... have fun!).

Reply 51 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

great news then blueshogun96!
good luck with unlocking nv1's secrets! 😀

Reply 52 of 56, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With DPMI programs you can use DPMI MapPhysicalToLinear (0x800, int 31h). There's even a hack to access this under win9x...you can check the sources of the dos part of my glide patch.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 55 of 56, by Falkentyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, Wow, Wow....
one of my friends actually BOUGHT a Diamond Edge 3D..was this in...1995?? or 1994...I just can't remember anymore.... And I was VERY close to buying one too. I remember we were playing a game at his house...with controllers...a fighting game? Must have been that Toshinden game mentioned above. I think John was complaining about the limited # of games or something...wasn't Sega's entire Saturn game library originally supposed to be ported to the Edge, since the Edge GPU was so similar to the Saturn's (aka a total nightmare for developers to program for....I forgot the reason or the technical term..something to do with how it handed triangles...)

Didn't the Edge 3D come with two gameports on the back of the card to plug in Sega Genesis or Saturn controllers (Dreamcast wasn't out yet, IIRC) to the back of the unit? My friend had an arcade custom controller (basically a street fighter 2 6 button joystick built with identical hardware that's in arcade machines) that was for the Genesis, and he used that.

I remember the Edge 3D having this huge demo display over at Frys...they were hyping it like it was the bridge that would unite PC and console arcade gaming....

@ Above poster:
Bilinear filtering is NOT the "basic" feature of 3d acceleration. 3D acceleration is just that---offloading 3D calculation, position and math operations from the CPU to secondary video hardware. The whole reason why Wing Commander 2 ran so fast on a SNES, when it had a MUCH slower CPU than a 386 (I think it had a 65c02...same as the Apple 2 GS), was because the SNES had sprite acceleration, while the PC didn't. So the Edge 3D allowed 3d work to be done by the NV1, which resulted in improved framerates. That's 3D acceleration in its most basic form. Bilinear filtering was the next step, to stop the pixel party and improve texture quality by blurring zoomed surfaces.
But my memory on the Edge was very fuzzy. Wasn't it like over $500? (I don't even think voodoo1 or V2 cards cost that much). I also remember it having some issues, and it using the same type of technology in the GPU that made it a nightmare to program for---the EXACT same type of issues that caused the Sega Saturn to fail.. Am I on the right track? This was almost 16 years ago, so I hardly remember now...

I can call my friend up and ask him if he still has his Edge 3D...chances are he doesn't, but he was a collector of parts just like I was...even though I don't have my 486 anymore, I still have my Roland SCC-1, SB16, Pentium 3, several Thrustmaster RCS's, an unopened New In Box Thrustmaster F22 Pro and TQS, etc....

P.S. Why are Nascar Racing and Destruction Derby on that list? They were DOS games...did they have some weird hardware hookup for the NV1 that I don't know about? I bought those games brand new and my friend (John, again) yelled at me for wasting money on DD. I think he made me return it or something...I still have the Nascar CD and that massive manual somewhere. Biggest waste of money ever, since Nascar required a massive CPU and my P54T overdrive couldn't handle it; by the time I had a computer capable of running Nascar properly, I was too busy with Warcraft 2 on Kali, Quake/Q2, and Unreal...sigh....I really don't want to go looking for those CD's anymore.