VOGONS

First post, by Zósite K. S.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok... my first post in these forums and it's to make some lifes around miserable reporting a bug. My most sincere condolences, people. But please let me also tell you that I just *LOVE* all your hard work here. Anyways, let's go for it.

After searching around on this particular problem the only post I've found reporting somthing similar was from back 2004 ( Problems installing 7th Guest ) but since there have been several builds since then I think it fits reporting it again here.

The problem is that in last official CVS builds (I'm right now using 01-16-2009 one) the "7th Guest" installer seems to be broken. I've been wondering where to report this one, if here or in the "Games" section, but since it's a bug from a CVS build... please accept my apologies and move this one as necessary if it doesn't fit here. And now, details:

DOSBox version used: 01-16-2009 CVS build (and many older ones)
Last DOSBox version I checked WITHOUT the problem: Official 0.72

System details:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB RAM
Windows XP Home

Game details:
"The 7th Guest"
DOS version 1.24
(second one from top here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Groovie/Checksums )

Problem details:
Reproducibility: ALWAYS
Sound mode used: ALL them and it doesn't matter. The only thing I didn't do yet is to disable all sound because the installer won't work without sound capabilities (it lacks "no sound" option).
Video mode used: ALL them from surface to openglnb
Mounting: mounted from BIN/CUE image of original CD, using both mount and imgmount. No difference.

Basically, the problem is that the installer will hang after copying "readme.txt" file so the game won't install properly. If you take a look at the install folder you might think all files are already there regardless of the hanging, but some of them like DEBUG.T7G will be corrupt. As I said above this didn't happen with official 0.72 but only with latest CVS builds (can't tell exactly what was the first one "featuring" it). The install options don't make a difference here; I've tried them all... different folder, MCGA video mode, all sound configurations... As soon as the installer reaches readme.txt it will hang.

And OF COURSE I've read the DosBox README. 😜

Hope to have provided you with enough details on this issue. And thanks in advance for your attention.

RSV/VA Zósite Kónstyte Styles/M/FRG Phoenix

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Create a dummy AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS file in the root of the mounted C: drive. Their contents shouldn't matter, it's just that the installer misbehaves if they aren't there (as they typically would be on a real DOS system). The installer I have doesn't exhibit the problem, but I remember reading a thread where one of the devs mentioned what causes it.

Reply 2 of 5, by Zósite K. S.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Palpatine's sakes! Your solution worked perfectly. It seems the installer try to create DEBUG.T7G with the current contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS in order to help customer support to fix any trouble and of course they weren't there so the installer just went nuts about it.

Now I've created a couple of dummy files and indeed the installer included their silly content in that DEBUG.T7G file and managed to finish the installation. No wonder I couldn't figure it since the file became corrupted and unable to be opened before so I couldn't read its content, which explains clearly what is that file for. Maybe your installer works different if it's from the Windows version of T7G, who knows. Tsk... those paid software developers always trying to fix what doesn't need to be fixed (yet)...

But now I wonder why on earth the game could be installed with older builds with no dummy files around... 😕

Well, what can I say? Thank you so much for your quick response and your help, Ripsaw8080! 😎

Reply 4 of 5, by Zósite K. S.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course! An installer shouldn't hang just for not being able to create an unnecessary file. However, it seems that using older DosBox builds, when the game is installed the section of DEBUG.T7G supposed to contain AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS contents just appears blank and you don't notice any further problems. Odd... but at least now I can live happy forever after with my working snapshot until a new CVS build appears. Let's say... tomorrow? 😁