VOGONS

Dosbox with Gilde2x.ovl

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 84, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Freddo, you can hide the menu bar by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F10. It won't be flickering in fullscreen.
Menu bar is a part of game screen, but it is designed to hide in the fullscreen. I will modify or update the patch some time, but it is still imperfect now. 😀

Reply 22 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with emulating hardware is that it would probably be a lot harder to map low level hardware calls to a 3d lib (like opengl). And doing software emulation would be a lot slower (and uglier) of course. Glide is actually quite similar to opengl...but still the wrappers are not perfect and far from being simple. As for being legal - I don't know. I think this is somewhat in the dark. Glide IP has been transferred from 3dfx to nVidia and they don't care much about it...parts of it are even opensourced. Having it seperate avoids these issues and unlike mt32 rom, many glide wrappers are available.
The final decision is of course up to Qbix and Harekiet how they wanna have it. At the moment, glide2x.dll dosbox uses can be switched with any other glide2x.dll (maybe even real voodoo drivers? 😀) each having different advantages. Since openglide is opensource I have modified it to use opengl through SDL (the patch is in openglide forum) and this makes it possible to better integrate it into dosbox.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 24 of 84, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gulikoza wrote:

And doing software emulation would be a lot slower (and uglier) of course.

Well, ideally if you are emulating the hardware it should look just like the real thing.

I agree though that it's just not feasible right now to do full emulation, and you can sometimes get better results from a wrapper than on the real thing anyways (e.g., higher resolutions and better lighting effects).

Reply 25 of 84, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, for some reason some games don't work when they should... Blood doesn't seem to be able to load the DOSBox Glide2x.ovl file (but then again it doesn't seem to be able to load the original either from within dosbox)

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 26 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure about Blood, but some games have more than one 3dfx patch. You have to make sure you take the ones that use glide2x.ovl as some executables already have glide compiled in statically. This obviously does not work with current implementation.

Reply 27 of 84, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yep, I know... but blood does use glide2x.ovl, but it seems it can't even find the file in the directory for some weird reason... I've disassembled it and took a quick look at it; the exe should find it but it doesn't for some reason (I guess this must be a DOSBox issue that has nothing to do with glide and more to do with the way DOSBox accesses files)

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 28 of 84, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Redguard again with the latest release of the ykhwong build, and unfortunally it seems like the Glide emulation of it is broken. When moving the DOSBox window, everything gets black and broken and never fixes itself.

I don't think it's the fault of the Glide emulation itself, though, but rather a conflict with another feature.

Reply 29 of 84, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Freddo. I added something (redraw) into SC_MOVE which responds to window movement. The main reason is that if menu bar is enabled, black margin is likely to be placed at the bottom of the screen (I thought should get rid of the margin). Every time you move window, screen will be refreshed. Did you try to hide menu bar?

Last edited by ykhwong on 2006-07-02, 16:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 84, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

Did you try to hide menu bar?

No 😅 That fixed it. Thanks! 😁

Any plans on adding hotkeys for cycles=auto and/or cycles=max? Redguard needs about 15,000 cycles or less to successfully start, but after that I would like to change it to max. Unfortunally, that's not possible if I can't have the menu bar available.

Reply 34 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need Voodoo Rush patch for Tomb Rider. First versions of the patch have staticaly compiled glide and do not work (as they access the voodoo board directly).

Reply 36 of 84, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well I do have ykhwong's latest cvs build, the required glide2x.ovl, the rush tomb.exe and everything and still Tomb Raider isn't OK by me.

After the initial FMV's
Dosbox keeps warning about a mysterious
"unsupported glide call 135"
and it crashes most of the times.

Any suggestions ?

Reply 37 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

call 135 error shouldn't be a problem.
as to why it crashes, I don't know...code hasn't been updated in a while, maybe it conflicts with some cvs changes.

ykhwong's download page does not work at the moment so I can't check...

Reply 38 of 84, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for answering.
For the sake of precision the unsupported glide call thing generates a flow like this in the status box

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Glide:Resolution set to:640x480, LFB at 0x872000
Glide:GLIDE_PageHandler installed for 0x872000 (2162 + 150 pages)
Glide:Unsupported glide call 135
Glide:Resetting page handler for page 2162 (150 pages)
Glide:Resolution set to:640x480, LFB at 0x91e000
Glide:GLIDE_PageHandler installed for 0x91e000 (2334 + 150 pages)
Glide:Resetting page handler for page 2334 (150 pages)
Glide:Resetting page handler for page 2334 (150 pages)

but I understand this may not mean that much.

As for the crashes, I checked it all again and in fact they seem to be only related to the fullscreen arrangement, and alt+entering in and out of it won't resume the game. The windowed gameplay is really good Glidos-like quality 😎

Is full screen really not (yet) implemented with the present cvs glide support ?
Or in the config file, since no output and scaler joggling seem to fix anything, do you think customizing the
fullresolution & windowresolution settings (which I set to "original") may be a workaround ?

Reply 39 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are normal debug messages, they should be disabled in release builds.

Fullresolution and all screen related options in config file do not work obviously since glide wrapper is in control of the dosbox window. Also at the moment there is no dosbox-wrapper communication so alt-enter and such will for sure result in a crash 😀. Fullscreen can be enabled by setting InitFullScreen=1 in OpenGLid.ini.