First post, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

capture_dosbox_banner2.png

this is a 0.63 version...but runs fine in 0.65
still not finnished...just only 5 first head-sections

Thanks for Dosbox emulator...it's fantastic 😀

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-18, 00:07. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 2 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a frontend for 0.63 can't possibly fully work with 0.65.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Lofty...i'll check this stufff of BDE,,,,it's because previoussly, i'm using some tables (i need remove some declarations-...)

the bug probably is because it needs the BDE engine installed...

Also i'll try make 0.65 full working in a few days.,..
Dominus: Agreed, i'm working on it to change accordly 😉 thanks

...anyway...i'll try fix it for tomorrow...today i've a terrible headache 😉

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-02, 02:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, chaosfish...i remember that game (your avatar) it's from oldiest CGA game of Cats no??

I'm working this morning (now) with DosBox FrontEnd and fixing some things like the box for assigning memory to emulator (now limited to 64 Mb max memory), and other sections ahead...also now i'm viewing the 0.65 Readme for further details about changes....

yes...it's pretty nice coloured, but i put here other screen at normal res.....

Ah, the "window scheme" is directly "ripped" from winamp for windows, sorry for this 😁

was added a tabbed control for other sections....

capture_dosbox_frontend2.jpg

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-12, 13:31. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 7 of 36, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That looks really really neat Shed, looks like something I'd recommend to people 😀
About the title bar: It's "DOSBox" and not "DosBox" 😉 So many people are spelling it wrong.

By the way are you looking for a name? BOSDox would be funny... or something 😜

Reply 8 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hehehe, really is not very badname...okay...it's changed

Tell me, if this other version re-build, runs without funny BDE bugs 😁
http://www.cyberscope-station.com/frikidune/i … End_By_Shed.zip

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-02, 13:37. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 9 of 36, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heehee, you actually use that name! 😜

Almost nothing works for me, but I guess it's just a beta/alpha now. Good luck!
What would be nice if there will be a posibility to set cycles=auto as intreduced with 0.65.

Reply 10 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, el_PuSHeR.... i don't remember the name 😀

But, if somebody else, can test this front-end beta...tell me here the bugs or so...

Shed wrote:
Hey, chaosfish... […]
Show full quote

Hey, chaosfish...

was added a tabbed control for other sections....still not finnished...

1) place the bosdox.exe and juegos.dbf at the same folder than DOSBox
2) configure controls and Press >>Generate Configuration
(for validate the Editboxes parameters, press enter when you enter the value)
3) Press Save for Saving >dosbox.conf< file (prev. file will be override)
4) Press >>DOSBox!! Now!!

The console for DOS must be showed at this point...

Changes from FrontEnd 0.63 to 0.65 version...

REMOVED options:
------------------------------------------------------------

# fullfixed -- Don't resize the screen when in fullscreen.
# hwscale -- Extra scaling of window if the output device supports hardware scaling.

ADDED OPTIONS:

# usescancodes = True; // setting true by default...

THINGS That still NOT Working in this FrontEnd....
---------------------------------------------------
Listen on Port 23 option
Mapperfile
Mapped Unit
the working audio sections are SoundBlaster and Gus sections,
still doing the rest for audio...and final sections like IPX etc
----------------------------------------------------

All the rest controls, must be 100% working

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-12, 13:34. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 11 of 36, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about adding a feature to it to generate a Windows shortcut that would launch the game in DOSBox with a custom dosbox.conf for that game, much like ScummVM Quick and Easy does for ScummVM.

Reply 12 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think a simple way would be, always from the FrontEnd, is...(if autoexec.bat runs after DOSBox) pre-generating a autoexec file same way i generate the dosbox.conf...and executing just when the console initializes

this is

1) having a Database with Paths and executable names (and perhaps, a memo field with personalized dosbox.conf file for each game)
2) take the the autoexec config (of each game register at juegos.dbf database) and add-in to config generation when you push the LaunchGame button....
3) add at end of file, the mount function for mount the virtual unit, the change directory command and the path, and calling the exe of a given game

I'm considering make this stuff, but later, when i finnish all the rest of Sections of dosbox.conf file....

Anyway, i was try this in 0.63 version, but it don't works avoid to extrange mystery....

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-16, 16:45. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 13 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ah...only a note....i emulated FastTracker II on DOSBox, with samplerate to minimum the program works....the bad thing is that sounds "crappy", but the program runs and loads XM's modules, play it ...etc...

increasing cycles, you can listen with better sound quality...but...i don't know where is limit until "burn" the processor...some help?? 😉

Also Deluxe Paint II Enhanced runs very well....

Last edited by Shed on 2006-04-26, 13:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 14 of 36, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deluxe Paint II Enhanced works just fine using NTVDM. Just make sure you have EMS enabled.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 15 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Deluxe Paint II Enhanced works just fine using NTVDM. Just make sure you have EMS enabled.

sounds like a possible program that won't run on all modern machines, due to the address area for EMS taken by something like the USB or Firewire controller (I mean in NTVDM).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i don't know this Dominus, i only tested here in my machine (with DOSBox) and runs fine.

but if you're interested, i still preserve DPII enhanced and DP Animation programs here in hard disk since 1990 and also the original manuals (but in spanish lang.)

here it's the test-screen captured

capture_deluxe_paint_II_emulated_dosbox.jpg

Reply 17 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Shed, as I wrote, it's not a Dosbox problem but a NTVDM problem. As people have found out here on Vogons, some dos games wouldn't run on Windows 2k/XP for only a few people. These games need EMS but for some reason EMS wasn't working on these machines (on the command prompt). It turned out that for some reasons controllers that came on board the mainboard took the address space (or whatever that is called) EMS needs to work on the command prompt. For some people disabling these controllers in their bios made EMS work again. On others, especially Laptops, there is no way to get it to work (for example my computer works, my laptop doesn't).
So my comment was really meant for El_Pusher to point out that Deluxe Paint II is probably one of the programs that doesn't work on all computers and therefore it is good to know that it runs fine on Dosbox.

Reply 18 of 36, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

understood Dominus, sorry, i don't see that your answer is for El_PuSHeR...anyway, DOSBox is a damn-good work and i note, as i say, thay framerate performace has been increased in 0.65 version

This days, i'll try test some other old-stuff programs on DOSBox...keep you informed next days....

Reply 19 of 36, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

sounds like a possible program that won't run on all modern machines, due to the address area for EMS taken by something like the USB or Firewire controller (I mean in NTVDM).

DP II Enhanced works without EMS too, but you won't have enough memory to run the greater resolution modes. The screen will appear cut off.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)