VOGONS

First post, by Maarten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've installed Doxbox 0.74 and it won't run program's with an ampersand (&) anymore.

I have a program called Guns or Butter which for some odd reason has a filename G&B.EXE. It is run by a batchfile that executes
METAWNDO G&B.EXE

METAWNDO is some kind of graphics driver (Metawindow) that it needs to run. In 0.63 this was fine, in 0.74 the Metawindow program tells me it can not find the file.
Renaming the executable to GB.exe does not help, probably because it also needs G&B.ovl

Is this a bug?

Reply 2 of 16, by Maarten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's a bit strange that the the command works in dosbox 0.63 and does not in 0.74. I'm running them side by side and it is the same command that is executed.
So there is a difference in behaviour somewhere.

Reply 4 of 16, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I have investigated this problem. Running the file "g&b.bat" in these DosBox versions RUNS PERFECTLY:

DosBox 0.63
DosBox 0.65
DosBox 0.70
DosBox 0.71
DosBox 0.72

But in those more recent versions DOESN'T WORK:
DosBox 0.73
DosBox 0.74

So the problem is a code change started in DosBox 0.73. For both versions it shows the same error:

MetaWINDOW Graphics Driver - Version 3.3A
Copyright (c) 1987,1988 - Metagraphics Software Corporation

MetaWINDOW driver loaded, invoking application . . . .

MetaWINDOW EXEC: Error - File not found.

I attach screenshots executing "g&b.bat" with DosBox 0.63, 0.73 and 0.74, and the program itself in a zip file.

Can be this revised? I think that BUG could/must be fixed...

THANKS!

Attachments

• dosbox063.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox063.JPG
    File size
    32.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dosbox073.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox073.JPG
    File size
    29.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • dosbox074.JPG
    Filename
    dosbox074.JPG
    File size
    29.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    gb.zip
    File size
    308.6 KiB
    Downloads
    476 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Can be this revised? I think that BUG could/must be fixed...

Revisiting the screenshots tells me they look different. Depending on how this looks
on a real system dosbox may or may not be correct.

I think that BUG could/must be fixed...

There's nothing that MUST be fixed.

Reply 6 of 16, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about my "MUST", you are right.

Revisiting the screenshots tells me they look different. Depending on how this looks
on a real system dosbox may or may not be correct.

I don't understand what you are trying to say, sorry... I only did tests with different versions of DosBox, and the screenshots are the results. As you can see, in the DosBox 0.63 screenshot, the program runs perfectly, after executing g&b.bat, it displays some text and shows that screen then. You can check it by yourself if you want with any version from 0.63 to 0.72, I did not trick any screenshot.

Reply 7 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The original batch file is named GB.BAT and should contain:

echo off
rem Batch file for Guns & Butter
METAWNDO G&B %1

The batch file you are using has been renamed to G&B.BAT, and modified to add ".exe" on the G&B parameter of the METAWNDO program. It does not work in real DOS, and it does not work in any version of DOSBox that I have tried. There is no problem if you use the original batch file name and contents.

Reply 8 of 16, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK ripsaw8080, now I understand, it is exactly the thing you said.

If within the file G&B.BAT, you put:

METAWNDO G&B %1

instead of:

METAWNDO G&B.EXE %1

The program runs perfectly in DosBox 0.74.

Ok, SOLVED!

Reply 9 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ah, OK, it works in older versions if you include the .bat extension when running the batch file, but not in more recent versions. The current behavior matches real DOS, however.

Reply 11 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No, I meant .bat, you misunderstood what I wrote. You must run the batch file with its extension, otherwise there is confusion about what is being run (G&B.BAT vs. G&B.EXE). However, when the batch file has its original name (GB.BAT) there can be no such uncertainty, and you don't have to type the .bat extension to run the game, you can simple type "GB".

Reply 12 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the original program (METAWND) might have used a findfirst to find it and thus the filedates and cluster locations on the disk might be relavant (what it finds first (the bat or exe)). So the renamed bat file might have worked on a real PC, (by sheer luck)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No findfirst is used (FCB or non-FCB), only EXEC (INT 21/4B00) is used.

METAWNDO.EXE appends ".com" and then ".exe" extensions to the file it tries to run. With the original batch file it fails on G&B.com but succeeds on G&B.exe. With the modified batch file it fails on both G&B.exe.com and G&B.exe.exe. Not sure if there's any circumstances where those filenames will successfully execute in real DOS.

Reply 14 of 16, by jomalin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just only another thing. Probably would be good to add the entry "The Global Dilemma: Guns or Butter" to the games compatibility list of DosBox website:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=G

because it is not there, and this is a game published by Mindscape.

Attachments

• GB.png
    Filename
    GB.png
    File size
    58.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 15 of 16, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's there: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=1977

And the reason it's under "T" for The and not "G" is because the compatibility list info is provided by users without much in the way of guidelines.

Reply 16 of 16, by Maarten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for finding this out. I can only think that I changed the .bat file because it didn't work in even older versions.
I don't really understand why it worked in 0.63 though, seeing that explanation that metawindow appends .exe and .com.