VOGONS

First post, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I'm experimenting with dosbox, and I was wondering if it is possibel to make a build out of the source like it is described in the dosbox wiki, but to use custom configuration file for the build, a custom icon and custom exe description, so there will be no need for shortcuts and bat files to run a game with custom config. The new build can only be used for that single game. Is is possible than how can I do that? I mean what should I do differently compared to the dosbox wiki build tutorial. Thnak you.

Reply 1 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it is possible ofcourse.
but you need to understand C code at some level
the default settings are in src/dosbox.cpp
the icon is src/dosbox.ico
the contents of autoexec.bat is left as exercise for the reader 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 19, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see, and where exactly can I add lines to autoexec? I would also like to ask if there is any documentation for what and where can be modified in the dosbox.cpp? I only wish to change such parameters like memory size and cycles and simple stuff like that. In the meanwhile I will do it in the trial'n'error way until I come up with something.

Reply 7 of 19, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used the visual C++ 2008 tutrial to build dosbox, and I used that program to edit the dosbox.cpp autoexect line:

//TODO ?
secline=control->AddSection_line("autoexec",&AUTOEXEC_Init);
MSG_Add("AUTOEXEC_CONFIGFILE_HELP",
"Lines in this section will be run at startup.\n"
mount C C
imgmount D CD/TVCD.ISO -t iso
C:
cd C:\TV
cls
ULTRAMID
TV
exit
);

If I understand correctly I have to add tthe lines in here, but it gives error when I try to build it, so it seems it isn't the correct form or I don't know, how can I fix this?

Reply 9 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll probably want to verify that those command you are entering for autoexec are actually correct by using them in a dosbox.conf file before coding them statically.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think the Readme has good enough explanations on the autoexec section of the conf file. If not there is still the Wiki and this forum.
For what you want exists a mauch easier solution with the -conf paramter and custom conf files for each game. You can make shortcuts for this and assign custom icons...

Reply 11 of 19, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You gusy are rigt! I used Quick Batch File Compiler to make exe files for each games, it can contain the icon exe description details and can run in ghost mode, I made all my CD, and some other games to run like this, as you can see it looks great! 🤣

mydosbox.th.png

I think I will make pdf tutorial how to make such exe files so that those who don't like frontends can make their games run like windows application.

Reply 12 of 19, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
szekeres2009 wrote:

I think I will make pdf tutorial how to make such exe files so that those who don't like frontends can make their games run like windows application.

You can easily do this with just shortcuts to DOSBox with the -conf option alone in a fraction of the time.

Reply 13 of 19, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I know, but this way you can move the entire dosbox directory to wherever you want and still the exe file works from the directory where the dosbox.exe file is, you can run the games from a flas drive too, you can burn them out and just copy back and run, it is quite easy to do actually... no need to bother with shortcuts. 😀

Reply 15 of 19, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While the exe's work very well for me, I noticed something strange, Quick Bach File Compiller puts the conf file to the current Users App Data folder, when I make screenshots and videos they are put to the app data folder along with the mapper.txt. This suggests that these files are created relative to the config files location, not the dosbox.exe file location. It is sad in the Quick Bach File Compiller official forum that the nex version will allow us to freely chose where the embeded files are extracted so then it will not be a problem, but not in the current version. So my question is that it is possible somehow to make captured files relative to the dosbox.exe files location instead of the config file?

Reply 16 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If a capture folder is in the same directory as dosbox.exe and you have write access to it then sound/video will be saved to that folder.

Reply 17 of 19, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should, but it doesn't, running dosbox.exe directly and then making the screenshots puts all the captures in their respective place, but when the config file is not present in the directory where the dosbox. exe is than a captures foler is made at the same place where the conf is and strats puting the stuff there. Try it, cut the dosbox.conf and paste at the desktop than make a shortcut at the desktop of the dosbox.exe. At the shortcut target line type in this: "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.73\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Users\!USERNAME!\Desktop\dosbox.conf", run the shortcut and start taking picts, a capture folder appeared at the desktop and filling with my shots.

Reply 18 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, probably done so if you have multiple games with a conf per game then you have save pics/videos in game specific folders.

You can specify the path inside the dosbox.conf:

captures=c:\users\USERNAME