VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I'm just curious if you could post something (Devs) about what you feel DosBox's new features will be within the next year or so?

Within the last year much has been done with like adding modem and network. So what do you think? Sort of like the WishList thread, but not wishes, things you see being done. What is on the drawing board so to say..

Thanks!
Curious..

Reply 4 of 14, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I hope to get that hq2x/OpenGL-HQ thing finally final. It's around for more than a year (counting the first code lines written, my planning is even older), and is in pretty good shape, there's just that windows problem that I must fix Real Soon Now (tm).

Reply 5 of 14, by old_school_dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dosbox versions deacated to difrint "OS" & hardwere
speed speed speed plz........

only poeple right now that can use this emu are people with autra fast cpu's

what a bout all the poeple on p3 750 mgz computers

Reply 6 of 14, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you know I ran dosbox just fine on a 333MHz Pentium2? Half a year ago, that was my laptop. With the correct tweaking, that's perfectly possible for nearly all games. I even wrote a guide on it in the Wiki.

And if I were you, I'd really enhance my typing skills. You're really hard to understand sometimes.

Reply 7 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DosBox works just fine on older CPU's with real mode games, protected mode games not so well, in my experience at least. You'll see the occasional nut running Duke3D on a 665mhz P3 or similiar in DosBox.....makes you start to wonder about people. 😉

What I find strange is that if your still running a less than gigahertz processor and you want to play old games that are protected mode, THEN SET UP A DUAL-BOOT FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT DOSBOX! Your processor is older than moses, UPGRADE ALREADY!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 14, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you're calling me a nut (ex-nut, to be correct)? 😀

Seriously, the 'usual' action games were out of question, but pmode games like Masters of Magic or Ufo ran comparably well - who cares if a turn-based strategy game has a frameskip of 15 if that buys you hq2x scaling?

Dual boot is not always an option. Some people don't own a version of Windows or DOS, and we're all honest people, are we? 😀 Also, having your ICQ running while playing a bit is a problem. Nevertheless, I fundamentally agree with you. Duke/Doom/Lucasarts adventures/whatnot have excellent native ports, no need to run them in dosbox. If dosbox is too slow, find a different way - there is one.

Reply 9 of 14, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm in complete agreement with moe here... Considering that the newest PC I own is a PIII/600, still. 😀 Master of Magic runs great here. 😀 As does Master of Orion. Heck, even Wing Commander: Privateer runs decently.

My old copies of Wing Commander III and IV have long since gone AWOL.

I've even gotten Dark Forces to run marginally well. Barely playable, but it does work.

Reply 10 of 14, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello? Do you realize that lots of old games end up HALTING the computer even on pure DOS because the new computers are just too fast for them?

Yet more importantly, do you realize that modern Sound Blasters have no DOS drivers...?

And that the same goes for USB mouses...?

But if you feel like preparing a dual boot and play without sound and be unable to run anything other than the game (since you're in DOS) and having to mess up with configuring CD ROM access, memory, autoexec.bat, config.sys, etc., etc. ,etc. - and still usually have the game getting stuck - all instead of just clicking on DOSBox.exe, then be my guest...

Reply 11 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

lwc,

My comment was for those strange people who like to run graphics intensive DOS games in DosBox (and who complain...LOUDLY about how DosBox is so slooooww) when using a less than gigahertz CPU. Obviously the ideal solution is to use a port or a dual-boot. A less than gigahertz processor should have no problem with hardware support assuming the user is bright/inclined enough to add the proper hardware if it's not available already.

Reply 13 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part of the fun of DOS is honestly configuring it. I love messing with hardware. I bet most of us do here too. I love being able to mess with DOS and tweak it and set up hardware differently to make the game run in different ways. Different wavesets, video modes, whatever.

BTW, being able to use Soundfonts thru DOSBOX and my Audigy is really REALLY awesome 😀