VOGONS

Common searches

difference?

Topic actions

First post, by Bab

User metadata

Hey, what's the difference between these babies?; none,normal2x,advmame2x

There's no mention of what they look like/ do + advantages anywhere.

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think they are different algorithms used when scaling/zooming - The better ones will consume more cpu power.

- None. I think this is called "nearest neighbour". Ugly but very fast.
- Normal2x: This may be common bilinear filtering, but i am not sure.
- advmame2x: HQ2X? Who knows? This seems to be the best-looking but most cpu-demanding of all three.

You will have to try them yourself.

Reply 2 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

advmame2x is not hq2x ( 🤣 )
(assumption) It is a variation on the MAME scaler used in AdvanceMAME emulator.
In the latest DOSBox CVS there is "hidden" scalers which I point out in the DOSBox.conf.
New ones:
Advmame3x (Basically 3x scaling of Advmame2x)
Advinterp2x
Interp2x
Tv2x - (makes it look like a TV with those scanlines through it)

I also applied a patch that includes the HQ2X scaling in DOSBox.
Thanks to moe' I know where some documentation of HQ2X is http://www.hiend3d.com/hq2x.html.

Also there was a thread on the DOSBox CVS forums that showed the differences in a few of the scalers that were "known" at the time.
http://www.mypixels.dk/forums/index.php?showt … pic=273&hl=hq2x (Warning! Hefty Loading times..)

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 8, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None is simply that - No scaling.
Normal2x is a nearest neighbor technique, as far as I can see.
Advmame, as priestlyboy says, is a slight modification on the scaling algorithm that AdvanceMAME uses.

Reply 8 of 8, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also get my build at DOSBox CVS Forums and do a little modding using the flexible D-Fend Frontend to get it to work quickly.

Just ask questions there. Since you have to make a couple posts anyways to get the build. We know people like DOSBox enough that it helps to prevent leeching. *We get plent of people their asking questions and giving support that more and more won't hurt us*
(it's not even my site. It's the rjpa's site who originally set up this build process but I increasingly improved it to hopefully mirror all plus exprimental improvements to the next DOSBox release.)

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.