VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DailyFrankPeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm having a problem mounting an .cue image file from a .conf file. These are the contents of my dosbox_xcomapoc_linux.conf file:

>[ipx]
># ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.
>ipx=false

>[autoexec]
># Lines in this section will be run at startup.
>mount c "."
>imgmount d "cd/xcom.cue" -t iso

The 'cd/xcom.cue' is part of X-Com Apocalypse from GOG. The subfolder 'CD' contains both .bin and .cue files. Now, running the above file on linux, from current working directory being the game's folder:

gamefolder> dosbox -conf dosbox_xcomapoc_linux.conf

Results in the "The image must be on host or local drive" error being thrown by 'imgmount' command. Running exactly the same line (last line from .conf file) by manually typing it into DOSBox works fine. I don't understand. How do I fix it?

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you're using a .conf file with just an [ipx] and [autoexec] sections? When using a custom .conf file, you should ideally have the entire contents of the original .conf file.

Anyway, I expect the above [autoexec] will only run correctly if you insert "C:" on its own line after the "mount" command. Using a path of "c:\cd\xcom.cue" might work as well.

Reply 2 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

So you're using a .conf file with just an [ipx] and [autoexec] sections? When using a custom .conf file, you should ideally have the entire contents of the original .conf file.

DOSBox will just use defaults for anything not set in the custom conf. You really only need to specify what you want changed from defaults.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 10, by DailyFrankPeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Anyway, I expect the above [autoexec] will only run correctly if you insert "C:" on its own line after the "mount" command. Using a path of "c:\cd\xcom.cue" might work as well.

Thanks. Perhaps I didn't mention but this is on Linux.

Still a) a full path doesn't work either - I've tried, b) the other relative path works just fine (i.e. '.' - for path to current working dir)

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DailyFrankPeter wrote:

Thanks. Perhaps I didn't mention but this is on Linux.

Once you've mounted the current directory as drive C, you can then use imgmount on paths accessible from the mounted drive letter (if I'm not mistaken).

a full path doesn't work either

As in "imgmount d "/home/foo/bar/cd/xcom.cue" -t iso" ? That is odd.

Reply 5 of 10, by DailyFrankPeter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

As in "imgmount d "/home/foo/bar/cd/xcom.cue" -t iso" ? That is odd.

>imgmount d "/home/<me>/xcomapoc/cd/xcom.cue" -t iso
Image file not found.

Yes, as in that^. It doesn't work (DOSBox 0.74, Ubuntu 14).

> imgmount d /cd/xcom.cue -t iso
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as(...)

This works fine by manual entry, but not from .conf file.

> imgmount d "c:\cd\xcom.cue" -t iso

Now this worked from the .conf file! But it would not have occurred to me to specify one path in terms of the Linux file system and the other one in terms of the DOS(Box) FS. Thanks for the hint though.

Last edited by DailyFrankPeter on 2016-06-21, 20:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, whatever works. 😀

I was also going to suggest checking if there was any particular path specified in the .cue file. (.cue files are plaintext and include the name of the .bin file they are supposed to be paired with; I'm not entirely sure how DOSBox determines the paths involved if no path is explicitly defined.)

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It might also come in play what is written in the cue file. It might be the reason why the imgmount with the full linux path doesn't work. (Edit: as Jorpho wrote 😉)
AND whether you just used the exact same commands in the dosbox prompt as in the autoexec section.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might want to make sure that the case is the same for the file as it is in the .conf file. Unlike in Windows, in Linux case is important. So CD/xcom.cue is completely different from cd/xcom.cue

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Good catch, same is true for XCOM.BIN vs xcom.bin in the cue file.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper