VOGONS

Common searches

Where to get GUS patches

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 57, by Guest

User metadata

I re-downloaded the GUS files, mounted the GUSSETUP directory I created as the root directory and ran the install.exe file....nothingit just displays 255 then 2, then the c:> prompt underneath that, with the graphics from the menu sitll on the screen too. I have disabled soundblaster, sound source etc. emulation, and have all the GUS variables in the CONF file set correctly, AFAIK, what am I doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 42 of 57, by kaede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cos nothing has happened for a while heres the pro patches lite 1.6 😳

Attachments

• Filename
    pplt_160.part1.rar
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Downloads
    2064 downloads
    File comment
    pro patches lite 1.60 part1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    pplt_160.part2.rar
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Downloads
    1972 downloads
    File comment
    pro patches lite 1.60 part2
    File license
  • Filename
    pplt_160.part3.rar
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Downloads
    1958 downloads
    File comment
    pro patches lite 1.60 part3
    File license
  • Filename
    pplt_160.part4.rar
    File size
    478.54 KiB
    Downloads
    1906 downloads
    File comment
    pro patches lite 1.60 part4
    File license

Reply 43 of 57, by kaede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cos nothing has happened for 15 seconds heres the pro patches lite 1.61 update (for 1.6) and the gravis mega-em 3.10 util 😳

Attachments

• Filename
    pplt161u.zip
    File size
    20.26 KiB
    Downloads
    1486 downloads
    File comment
    pro patches lite 1.61 update
    File license
  • Filename
    mega310.zip
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Downloads
    1342 downloads
    File comment
    gravis mega-em v. 3.10 util
    File license

Reply 44 of 57, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaede wrote:

cos nothing has happened for 15 seconds heres the pro patches lite 1.61 update (for 1.6) and the gravis mega-em 3.10 util 😳

Thanks much! I'v been looking forward to getting them...

dvwjr

Reply 46 of 57, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thierrybo wrote:

Thanks to Kaede I put pplt160 and 161 on my unused 😁 website for more convenience.

I don't see 161 there, but the download is appreciated.

Reply 49 of 57, by kaede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just my 2c

it would be nice to have the gus drivers as part of an official dosbox package (an optional sound driver package maybe?) assuming there are no copyright issues in distributing a copy of these..

it would just mean that these drivers will not dissapear into the ether..

Reply 50 of 57, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox doesn't use or need drivers, just sound patches. You can get them from all over the place, and there are several to choose from (I don't even remember where I got mine, as I rarely use them). They probably are copyrighted too.

Reply 51 of 57, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, actually, a few games need drivers. Not the whole package, but ultramid.exe and/or loadpats.exe. I don't think they will fall into oblivion, as several games even ship them themselves.

Reply 52 of 57, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of which, I tried Quest for Glory 4 with GUS and it crashed because it tried to use a custom driver with custom patches. I should file a DOSBox bug report if I haven't already...

Reply 53 of 57, by nimbus186

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone mentioned Timidity earlier... if you're using Linux and ALSA, it is possible to use Timidity with DOSBox (assuming you're using fairly recent versions of both).

Start Timidity in ALSA server mode, and make sure it's set to use ALSA (not OSS) for sound output, e.g.:

timidity -Os1S -s 48000 -a -iA

Yes, the syntax is quite obscure: "-Os1S" means "ALSA, 16-bit, stereo", 48000 is the sample rate (might want to use 44100 depending on your sound card, or 22050 on a slower computer), "-a" means use the anti-aliasing filter (might want to disable this on a slower computer) and "-iA" means run as an ALSA server (receives MIDI data from other programs rather than a file).

Add the following lines to the [midi] section of dosbox.conf:

device=alsa
config=128:0

The number after "config" is the ALSA MIDI port used; you can set it to anything you want but 128:0 is where Timidity listens by default.

Make sure SDL is set to use ALSA for sound output; type

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

Then start DOSBox, set your game to use General MIDI, and if you've set up Timidity with the appropriate patches, the music should sound exactly like it would on a GUS.

Timidity can also use Soundfont 2 patches; if you use AWEROMGM (available here or here), you can make the music sound almost (the patch set isn't perfect) exactly like it would on a Sound Blaster AWE32.

Since Timidity is a software synthesizer it will take some CPU time away from DOSBox; with more demanding games you may have to trade sound quality for speed. But it has the advantage of working even with simple built-in motherboard sound chips that don't have their own wavetable synthesizer.

Reply 54 of 57, by Elviz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice going! I was just googling around and found my way to this site. Quite funny to see someone is still playing around with the patch set i created over TEN years ago (Pro patches lite) 😀.

Also, nice to get the patch set back. Thanks! I had the patch set on floppies (didn't have cdr drive back then) but it has been lost for half a decade or so and I don't even have a floppy drive anymore. I think the version i had on floppies was a bit never, some minor changes anyways.

Maybe i'll try how that stuff works on my current stereo system instead of the 20$ (partly bronken) headphones i was using at the time 😉.

br, Eero

Reply 55 of 57, by porjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GravisUltrasound + Patches. Another mirror to keep it alive. I've uploaded them to my Rapidshare account (which will last for a year).

http://rapidshare.com/files/37575132/Gravis_Ultrasound.zip