VOGONS

Common searches

Where to get GUS patches

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 57, by kaede

User metadata

BTW! i just found the last version of the pro patches lite patch set V1.61 😁 (well v1.60 and a v1.60 -> 1.61 update)

http://hq.pm.waw.pl/pub/gus/

someone plz mirror these files.. as im sure they are one of the last copies on the web 😅

i will post more links if i find them, otherwise try to set up a mirror myself

Reply 23 of 57, by Guest

User metadata

To install the 4.11 drivers you should mount the directory where they are and install them from that root directory. Do not mount them into A: unit because it will ask you to insert disks.

The install procedure is easy... just select the same config as DOSBox config file, skip all the errors and go on. Then delete the created C:\autoexec.bat because it's not necessary.

BTW: Thanks for the propats 1.60/1.61 link to the guy over 😊 !!!!!!!

Reply 24 of 57, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I got the install program to work. The problem seems to be that I was using a (very slightly) custom Dosbox CONF file: the only difference between it and the default was that it was set to 9000 cycles rather than 2500, but I guess that was enough to make it angry! Oh well.

Reply 26 of 57, by Guest

User metadata

The 4.11 gus driver don't work on my computer (dosbox 0.61) ? I make the installation as described, but I have the follwing message "install cannot determinate the ultrasound card type installed. This is usually caused by a base port conflict. You should exit install, remove the ultrasound card and run conscan.exe on the first installation disk."
I run this conscan.exe, but it didn't helped me : I only saw that 1 port was used by ultrasound on the other free.
Is there particular elements to set in the conf.file for this installation ?

Reply 27 of 57, by Guest

User metadata

The 4.11 gus driver don't work on my computer (dosbox 0.61) ? I make the installation as described, but I have the follwing message "install cannot determinate the ultrasound card type installed. This is usually caused by a base port conflict. You should exit install, remove the ultrasound card and run conscan.exe on the first installation disk."
I run this conscan.exe, but it didn't helped me : I only saw that 1 port was used by ultrasound on the other free.
Is there particular elements to set in the conf.file for this installation ?

Reply 28 of 57, by Guest

User metadata

Well lets see.. I did it according to these steps too.. In regular .61 it worked but the install hanged a few times.. with cvs there was no problems with that. So installing the driver is no problem. Though there tests part doesn't seem to be skippable.. guess you just gotta ignore them. Dunno what I did now though.. the dma test seems to hang almost every time. then it needs a restart.

Well anyways.. I get it to play midis with the playmidi thing as was told. but the quality is SHITTY, and it's not about the cpu cycles or so.. I have the cpu usage at 20-45% I tried many cycle levels and it's exactly the same at all of them.. weird distorted noise created at the same time as an instrument plays. sounds like an irq or something problem. I was trying to browse through all the settings but it's always the same. Guess this is the same noise someone else was talking about. It's really nasty. i'm interested if anyone else is able to play the mididemo or use playmidi without this noise.

I couldn't find any games that would have midi music and a gus choice in the setup so I Dont know what it'd do there.. games which have gus choice and have digital music played well though

Dunno if there's anything working or not.. since those new games sounds pretty much exactly the same with sb16 too..

That mr. professional gus helper should tell us something more 😀

Reply 29 of 57, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Grr I hate how it always forgets i'm in.. writing too long posts I Think 😀

Well I could still add something about the noise.. it's pretty quiet there and if I step 5 meters away when listening with normal music listening volume it fades away in the music. But if I'm sitting here it's really distinct and nasty like there was too much gain or some chip was burnt. I'd like to know if anyone have get it working "perfectly". The effects like balance and echo work fine but there's that weird noise in the back. Hate it 😀

Reply 30 of 57, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.. dosbox is for games. So if you don't have any games using gus for midi, why bother? 😉 But I can say that midi music is ok in games. The only problem is that it is too slow with some games - Dark Forces for example.

Reply 31 of 57, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, anybody have the Pro Patches Lite 1.60 files? The link above and every other link I've looked for doesn't exist anymore. I did find two of the 5 disk zips but that's not helpful 🤣.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 33 of 57, by Exaltor

User metadata

Well, some of you have ppl 1.60, when will be available to the rest of us. Dosbox Wiki says that a link will be added. Still waiting 😀

I think that they're a great patch. it should be nice if everybody can access to it(i did some googling but i was unable to find a link).

Thanks.

Reply 34 of 57, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just so someone else does not waste a lot of time with the installation of the "®Pro Patches Lite v1.50" installation. You NEED to have TWO environmental variables defined for the program to work, otherwise you will get a Borland Pascal-style message "Runtime error 0003 at 0000:2CEF" as it dumps to a DOS prompt.

The first environmental varible is documented. It goes by the name of "PROPATS" and it is located the sub-directory where the 1.50 GUS patches were un-zipped. Say you un-zipped the files to the sub-directory "PATCHES" on drive D:, you would end up with the following sub-directories containing all the files:

D:\PATCHES\
with the subdirectories:
D:\Patches\MidiTest
D:\Patches\PatMenu
D:\Patches\Small

The directions imply that you merely set the DOS environmental variable as follows: SET PROPATS=D:\PATCHES

Not so. You will get the "Runtime error 0003 at 0000:2CEF" and the PATMENU.EXE program will quit. The reason is that the PATMENU.EXE program has no idea where the ULTRASND sub-directory is located. You guessed it, since this patch program was written for a real DOS environment with a GUS adapter installed it is expecting ANOTHER enviromental variable which would have been emplaced by some long-lost installation program. So we have (to us) an undocumented environmental variable which prevents program execution. After dis-assembling the PATMENU.EXE file I found out why it requires the "ULTRADIR" environmental variable.

Tell the PATMENU.EXE program where the patches will be applied by locating the \ULTRASND subdirectory where the 4.11 version files were installed. The environmental variable is named ULTRADIR, which is the sub-directory where those files are located. In this example assume that the ULTRASND directory is on drive D: also, you would require both:

SET ULTRADIR=D:\ULTRASND
SET PROPATS=D:\PATCHES

To active the update version 1.50 set the two above environment variables and change to the example directory of D:\PATCHES

Then execute the following command: ".\Patmenu\Patmenu.exe S" (without the quotes)

You should then get the update AOK.

dvwjr

Reply 35 of 57, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks for the well-written info, dvwjr. Only one minor issue: DOSBox should already define that ULTRADIR variable for you.

I am not at home, so I can not verify it, but unless my C++ reading skills sucks royally, the last 3-4 lines in gus.cpp injects a "SET ULTRADIR=...." into the start-up sequence of DOSBox:

// ULTRASND=Port,DMA1,DMA2,IRQ1,IRQ2
SHELL_AddAutoexec("SET ULTRASND=%3X,%d,%d,%d,%d",portat,myGUS.dma1,myGUS.dma2,myGUS.irq1,myGUS.irq2);
SHELL_AddAutoexec("SET ULTRADIR=%s", myGUS.ultradir);

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 36 of 57, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are correct that DOSBOX defines the %ULTRADIR% variable, however I was executing the GUS v4.11 and the PPL v1.50 update under a regular WinXP CMD.exe console after downloading the files. The console window had no such environmental variable defined, so the initial error message was a supprise. I normally just use the D-Fend2 front-end to configure DOSBOX for any games, but use the native CMD.exe console for any normal DOS console work.

DOSBOX would of course both supply and mask the need for the %ULTRADIR% sub-directory, but in the when I first downloaded the GUS files I was left scratching my head at the "Runtime error 0003" Borland Pascal error message that was displayed in the WinXP DOS console. I have an aversion to programs which don't trap I/O errors gracefully and at least let the user know what went wrong, so I wanted to find out what file/dir this utility update program required. My first thought was that it was hard-coded, no-go. Then a quick dis-assembly showed it was looking for a "ULTRADIR=" variable, problem solved.

I just didn't want anyone else who uses a Windows DOS console to waste the same time I did...

dvwjr

Reply 38 of 57, by kaede

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

aah a new dosbox.. finally.. man have i been ignoring me gametime (tm)

I have a copy of the GUS 4.11 drivers and the Pro patches lite 1.6 with the 1.61 update.

if someone shoots me a message with a place i can upload to i'll gladly do it for the community. all the files take about 17MB all up.

official dosbox sound support files anyone??

please dont let the GUS fade into oblivion!