VOGONS

Common searches

speed problem

Topic actions

First post, by Slayer

User metadata

okay, i just got DOSBox, and it all works good, except for one small problem. The games run too slow, and i can't get it smooth using the CPU cycles and frame skip. I have a AMD 800Mhz CPU chip. Is it too slow?

Reply 1 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on what games do you want to run. If you are planning to run CGA 8086 games, you've got enough processing power. If you want to run SVGA VESA games, you need a better processor (2GHz+)

Reply 2 of 12, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In fact you can run better things that 8086 cga games 😀. I can run wolf3d pretty well with my piii 800. Most non protected mode games run fine. Besides that 0.58 is faster than 0.60 so it may be a better option for games that work in both versions.

Iampiti

Reply 3 of 12, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right now, from my perception of things (and correct me if I'm wrong, Snover, Harekjet and Qbix) the current development focus of Dos Box is NOT speed and optimization. It is features and compatibility.

I am currently running on a PIII/600 myself, and can barely run Wing Commander at a decent speed. But that's not a complaint. It's general programming: Get the feature set you want complete and stable, then work on optimizing the code, and eking speed out of it.

Reply 8 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slayer, CGA was an old video mode on very old PCs. It was IBM's first attempt to provide PCs with colour graphics. It was really awful with an also awful 4-colour palette. Anyway those 80's times were great.