VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, all. I've run into an odd problem that I'm having trouble figuring out. Would appreciate any suggestions.

I have a floppy disk image containing win16 software that I'd like to install in Windows 3.11 under Dosbox. However, I can't access the a: drive from within Windows while the image is mounted. Here's what I see:

1. mount the disk with this command:
imgmount a "/path/to/disk1.img" -t floppy

2. from within DOS, I can run a 'dir a:' and view the contents

3. launch Windows, fileman, and try to select the A: drive, but it doesn't exist (only C: and Z: are listed)

4. if I try to run a:\setup.exe from File, Run..., it'll launch the installer, but then fail as soon as it begins trying to copy files

5. if I launch the MS-DOS Prompt from within Windows to get back to the DOS shell, I can still see the A: drive

6. if I unmount the floppy disk image and return to File Manager, it'll now list the A: as available, but, of course, if I click on it, it says it doesn't exist since nothing's mounted

7. Just for contrast, mounting and accessing CD-ROM images through File Manager works great; it only fails with this floppy image.

So, at this point I'm kind of stuck. Any ideas? I know Windows isn't officially supported (though it's been pretty damn solid for me otherwise), so maybe this is a known bug? Haven't been able to find any mention of it, though. Either way, would definitely appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.[/list]

Reply 2 of 2, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, I'm sure that's my problem then. Thanks for the heads up. In the meantime, I should be able to just copy the disk contents over to c: and install from within Windows, but I'll certainly be looking forward to the next release (which, honestly, I've been looking forward to anyway... been a while since the last release, and I can't wait to see what new features will be included 😀.

Anyway, again, thanks for the pointer. Much appreciated.