VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by deeped

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old P2 machine, and decided to record FM musics. I didnt change any volume, everything is on the default, sadly the input is too silent, about half of the maximum. I know its not related with DosBox, but I hope anybody met this problem. Im trying to record with Win7.

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are recording with a computer (Sound Card), the line-in usually has a level slider. Increase the sensitivity in the sound options. You can also increase the volume through software (Audcaity for example), but it's better to adjust the levels properly rather than doing it through software.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a system with PCI slots, the ideal way to record is to use a Yamaha YMF card with a digital sound output.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
deeped wrote:

yes, its maximum.
Yes, I dont use software volume chagning, since it increases the noisy level too

Hmmm can you change the volume in the mixer?

The other option is to source another Sound Card with a more sensitive line-in.

Also some cards are simply louder than others. The old 8 bit cards are very loud for example.

Great Hierophant wrote:

If you have a system with PCI slots, the ideal way to record is to use a Yamaha YMF card with a digital sound output.

But this won't capture all the analogue subtleties, especially when you want to investigate a specific card.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure the other sound card's volume is high (maybe not maximum). As for using a software solution you could record some minutes of silence (maybe a "silent" wav) so you can use the noise produced as a value for a noise filter.

Reply 6 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While you can do that (removing noise), I think it also gets rid of some of the "magic" of these old Sound Cards. The SNR on these old cards can be quite bad anyway, so often there isn't much you can do.

An old Sound Blaster will always be quite noisy, but has it's own unique signature compared to newer cards.

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 9, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Noise often depends on what sound card you record from. I have a als100 sound blaster clone card which is very noisy, and a SB16 card which is a bit noisy, but much better than the former.

One thing that will reduce noise is to lower the voice audio volume to zero in the sound card's mixer utility (and disable voice audio in the games that allow it). Other things that could theoretically lower the noise is to lower other inputs and outputs you aren't using, like line-in and PC-Speaker. Can't personally say I've noticed any differences by doing this.

Also make sure the sound card you record with isn't part of the noise problem. If you want good recordings I would recommend to get a card suited for recording. If you are using sound blaster or similar make sure to use the line-in and not mic. I would stay away from built in sound cards.

Noise filtering does alter the music in a negative way. It's not something I would recommend.

If you want you can compare the recordings I've done in my signature and see if you get similar results. I use Audacity for recording and amplify most tracks 5-10x. Midi and master volume set to two steps from max in the SB16 mixer. Volume knob at back of the card to max.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 9 of 9, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an example of what kind of signal/noise level should be attainable:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5oodny

I recorded it years ago off what I think is a Sound Blaster 2.0.