VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by synikk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the short:
where is it? its not in the install directory. only that 'options' executable which opens it is there. in older dosboxes it was in the directory u install it in so, in .74, where is it?~!? i screwed mine up and even upon reinstalling, it does not reset its settings -_- ...

the story:
so ive been playing a ton of dos games recently.. and ive had my .74 tweaked to run a sleu of games relatively well. well, that is, until i tried to run STTNG : A Final Unity.

for whatever reason it continued to give me a soundinit error on bootup. i found an older dosbox someone rigged to run the game and so I figured id check out the conf settings on that one and try to adjust my own. tinkered with that for like 2 hours to no avail and finally just gave in and INSTALLED the older dosbox. :/

yeah, this worked. it ran the game. but i was unsatisfied with its filtering settings limitations on the older version (i think it was like .68 or something) and went back to tweak my .74. no matter how much i changed everything to try and match the .68 settings, it still gave the damned soundinit error after the initial game's splash screen. infuriated i simply copied the entire contents of the .68 CONF file and pasted it over my .74 'options' conf file (wherever it is).

this screwed up my .74. i decided that was a bad idea so i uninstalled EVERYTHING. the .68 and the .74. then to not take a chance that something residiual remained? i rebooted... then proceeded to reinstall .74...

when i tried to run it for the first time? IT KEPT ALL THE OLD SETTINGS!! ughhh. how is this even possible? i looked in the new directory of the new dosbox .74 and the 'options' (which links to its conf file) were still the same i copied from the .68!!! even still with the batch to go to the ST:AFU game!! gdsjkagoiasd

i just cannot believe this... and i would like simply to have my old .74 conf file back?? but where the heck is it? how is it possible it doesnt just REPLACE it upon a reinstall of dosbox? i dont see it anywhere in the directory... this is just such crap. im sorry to rage but, its really maddening after having uninstalled EVERYTHING and yet still it keeps its old conf options? where/how can i get back the default .74 conf? and where is it!! lol.

im running win7, x64... i guess it probably hides the conf file combined somewhere in some secret folder or some bs. bleh. any ideas? thanks heh what a nightmare... this is almost worse than it was back in the day to get actual dos games to work. lol. aw well.. adds to the nostalgia i guess?

Reply 1 of 9, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The full name of the .conf is written in the dosbox status window after the start.
In Xp - "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf".

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You could try reading the readme...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just saying, but I personally don't like how you now have to dig through the local settings folder to get to DosBox's conf file (yes, there's a shortcut to edit it, but it's just not the same). I know it was done this way to be more compliant with how Vista/7 does things, but I would still prefer it if the conf file was still located in DosBox's folder, like it was with the older versions.

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can still stick it into there.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Just saying, but I personally don't like how you now have to dig through the local settings folder to get to DosBox's conf file (yes, there's a shortcut to edit it, but it's just not the same). I know it was done this way to be more compliant with how Vista/7 does things, but I would still prefer it if the conf file was still located in DosBox's folder, like it was with the older versions.

In DOSBox just type "config -writeconf dosbox.conf" and it will create a config file in the DOSBox directory.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I know it was done this way to be more compliant with how Vista/7 does things, but I would still prefer it if the conf file was still located in DosBox's folder, like it was with the older versions.

Regular users often do not have write access to subfolders in Program Files. This would cause far more problems than it would solve (whatever those are).

But as Mr. Teppic says, you can get around it easily enough if you are so inclined.

Reply 8 of 9, by synikk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THANK YOU. it still seems insane to me that reinstalling doesnt just overwrite it, but now that i manually deleted the conf and reinstalled, i am back where i started. thanks. (WHAT A PAIN!!! lol)

and yes, i abhor vista/7's file system. i really want to go backwards and get an xp optimized pc. all the new 64bit architecture and getting to use over 3gb ram is really useless imo especially when combined with the headache annoyance of the new file architecture and having to disable just about every security function to make the os bearable to use. and that then after all that, everything runs slower than it did in xp32bit anyways. world is just getting more and more annoying

Reply 9 of 9, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got a fairly modern Win7 system (my dad's 2-year-old Alienware M17x R2, 😁 which he decided to replace with a desktop because he couldn't deal with all the frustrations of a laptop), and so far I've actually been really liking Windows 7. I mean, the way it's set up by default kinda sucks, but once you disable UAC, turn off some of the unneeded services, and change some of the UI settings it becomes a very awesome OS. 😁 In this regard, XP actually wasn't that different, because it too had a sucky default configuration, but became an incredible OS when you tweaked the hell out of it.

As for which OS I prefer? It depends on the system I'm running it on. I wouldn't run Win7 on anything less than a fairly recent 64-bit dual core PC with at least 6GB of RAM, whereas XP gets along fine with 2GB and a good P4-era processor. That all being said, where XP has blistering speed on even low-end hardware, Win7 has much much better support for newer technologies like Bluetooth and SD cards and HDMI and other things like that.

EDIT: I just tested writing a file to one of the folders in the Program Files folder on my Win7 box (well, not really a box but whatever). With the UAC and all that other bullshit turned off, it worked perfectly. 😁