VOGONS

Common searches

Mounting problems with CDROMs

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by wcwyes@yahoo.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a little new to the emu world not that I don't understand it but I'm having trouble with DOS 6.22 reading my hl-dt-st dvd+-rw gt10n ata device using DOSBOX 0.74 on Windows 7. I'm trying to install Windows 95 from disc which I've seen done, but they didn't have the CDROM compatibility problem. I need to have my CDROM anyways for I'm going to load a few DOS and Win95 Games in my Windows environment. DOSBOX Reads my CDROM just fine. so if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Reply 6 of 31, by wcwyes@yahoo.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
wcwyes@yahoo.com wrote:

DOSBOX 0.74 does support Windows 95 just not 98 yet.

"Works" and "Is supported" are two different things.

I know It's supported because I checked DOSBOX's site to see what's supported originally I was just going to load 98 on an emu DOSBOX says 98SE is playable but not supported. So yes I do know the difference. I don't need 98 anyways, so I'm doing 95

Reply 7 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wcwyes@yahoo.com wrote:

I know It's supported because I checked DOSBOX's site to see what's supported originally I was just going to load 98 on an emu DOSBOX says 98SE is playable but not supported. So yes I do know the difference. I don't need 98 anyways, so I'm doing 95

I don't know what you're reading, but Windows 95 is just as completely unsupported as Windows 98.

Anyway, the official version of DOSBox does not emulate an IDE controller, so once you've booted DOS 6.22 or Windows 95, you will not be able to access a CD-ROM, period. Presently, the typical way to use a CD-ROM in Windows 95 in DOSBox is to copy an image of the CD-ROM to the virtual hard drive and mount it within Windows 95 using an old version of Daemon Tools. There is an experimental version of DOSBox which may emulate an IDE CD-ROM drive, but it is still very new and completely unofficial.
DOSBox-X branch

Reply 8 of 31, by wcwyes@yahoo.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I don't know what you're reading, but Windows 95 is just as completely unsupported as Windows 98.

This is from DOSBOX's official site http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=W

Jorpho wrote:

Anyway, the official version of DOSBox does not emulate an IDE controller, so once you've booted DOS 6.22 or Windows 95, you will not be able to access a CD-ROM, period. Presently, the typical way to use a CD-ROM in Windows 95 in DOSBox is to copy an image of the CD-ROM to the virtual hard drive and mount it within Windows 95 using an old version of Daemon Tools. There is an experimental version of DOSBox which may emulate an IDE CD-ROM drive, but it is still very new and completely unofficial.
DOSBox-X branch

Then why can I run my CDROM after mounting it in DOXBOX only when I boot DOS it no longer works. It seems to me like it's supported.

anyways I'm going to find an IDE to USB adapter and try to hook up the old CDROM I was using in my old computer, and see if that works. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I need a just need a driver to put in my CONFIG.SYS file.

Reply 9 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps a mod can move this thread to the DOSBox forum, where it belongs.

Just because it is possible to run 95 in DOSBox does not mean that it is officially supported. Some user may have made an entry for 95 in the compatibility list, but that does not mean that it is supported by the devs. Loss of access to the host's file system has been a known effect of booting from an image in DOSBox. If you need access to your host's file system after booting the image, you are probably better off using a VM or one of the unsupported developmental builds of DOSBox as suggested.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
wcwyes@yahoo.com wrote:
This is from DOSBOX's official site http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=W […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:

This is from DOSBOX's official site http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=W

Jorpho wrote:

DOSBox-X branch

Then why can I run my CDROM after mounting it in DOXBOX only when I boot DOS it no longer works. It seems to me like it's supported.

anyways I'm going to find an IDE to USB adapter and try to hook up the old CDROM I was using in my old computer, and see if that works. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I need a just need a driver to put in my CONFIG.SYS file.

Good luck. We KNOW it is not as simple but don't let that stop you from getting such an adapter and messing with the config.sys.
It's your time, have fun...
When youexhausted all you can try and you finally believe us we can talk again 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 31, by wcwyes@yahoo.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Perhaps a mod can move this thread to the DOSBox forum, where it belongs.

I'm ha having a compatibility issue between my SATA CDROM and DOS which has nothing to do with DOSBOX because it works fine in the DOSBOX environment.

Reply 12 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So what is your problem exactly?
Did you install Dos on your computer and that doesn't work? Then yes you only need to find the right driver (if there is one).

Did you install Dos IN Dosbox and are "booting" an hard drive image with dos IN Dosbox? Then be assured that you won't be able to use the CD Rom after you used the boot command in Dosbox. There is nothing you can do about this (except using a certain patch and compiling Dosbox yourself).

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wcwyes@yahoo.com wrote:

DOSBox loses the functionality to mount ANY drive as soon as you boot an OS inside DOSBox. Mounting is an internal DOSBox operation that cannot be accessed once an OS is running in DOSBox. That is how it works.

This has all been discussed on these forums many times before. An IDE to USB adapter is not going to help, putting a driver in your CONFIG.SYS file is not going to help, and your drive being SATA has nothing to do with it. We may actually have some idea of what we are talking about, you know.

See also Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported) .

Reply 14 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And the way this discussion is going I see a lockage coming your way along with a nice comment from wd 😉

Reply 15 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wcwyes@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm having trouble with DOS 6.22 reading my hl-dt-st dvd+-rw gt10n ata device using DOSBOX 0.74 on Windows 7.

Sure sound like you are using DOSBox. If you are booting DOSBox with a DOS 6.22 image file, you can't access the host's file system. If you are booting your Win7 box to DOS using another disk or a thumbdrive with DOS on it without booting Windows or starting DOSBox first, then yes it is a DOS matter.

Reply 16 of 31, by wcwyes@yahoo.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
Good luck. We KNOW it is not as simple but don't let that stop you from getting such an adapter and messing with the config.sys. […]
Show full quote
wcwyes@yahoo.com wrote:
This is from DOSBOX's official site http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=W […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:

Jorpho wrote:

DOSBox-X branch

Good luck. We KNOW it is not as simple but don't let that stop you from getting such an adapter and messing with the config.sys.
It's your time, have fun...
When youexhausted all you can try and you finally believe us we can talk again 😉

I was going to try the adapter route because everyone here seems to have tunnel vision and won't do the research to find that I'm fseveral steps ahead of you guys.
1.I was hoping for advice maybe where to find such a driver for my CDROM, or maybe another solution... oh like the one I found!... Yeah that's it.
2. I already KNOW DOSBOX can read my CDROM(I've tried it). I've done all trouble shooting to know that it's DOS not DOSBOX
3. Like I said I was going to get an adapter for ANOTHER CDROM that I own(One that's compatible with DOS 6.22), then that way maybe I won't have to get into the CONFIG.SYS file which holds the drivers that DOS uses. 4.DOSBOX does emulate IDE just not the I/O switch which I already know how to fix in Windows(I've done my research).
5.To address whether it DOS 6.22 supports it is obvious. DOS 6.22 does not support SATA.
So unless you have some helpful "suggestions" I really don't care.
I really don't care what DOSBOX doesn't support if it doesn't work I STILL must address THIS problem.

Reply 18 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why do you even come here and ask for help if you won't listen to us.

I repeat: ONCE YOU USE THE BOOT COMMAND IN DOSBOX 0.74 YOU CAN'T USE YOUR CD-ROM.
And that has nothing to do with sata. dosbox doesn't care about sata