VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jdahlback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use Dosbox 0.74 in Windows 7.

Files created in a mounted directory are permanent in Dosbox but they never show up in windows. How do I find them?

Reply 4 of 14, by jdahlback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No but that might be a reason to the problem.

I changed persmissions but it doesn't make the files appear. When I tried to run as an admin the files were gone. Seems like they are connected to the user...

Reply 8 of 14, by jdahlback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought of showing hidden files but it didn't work either.

Deleting the file and re-creating it when the user had the proper rights worked fine, though.

Maybe some kind of Dosbox "sandbox" that sets in when the user doesn't have the rigths?

Reply 10 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look in your user profile under APPDATA (It's a hidden folder).

If you don't have write permission to a protected folder that you are trying to write files to then the files are redirected to your user profile. Has nothing to do with DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As Dosfreak wrote 😉
It's actualky a nice feature of Vista and w7. Instead of programs losing data and/or crashing the files are stored in the user profile.
MS should just use an overlay whenever that happens so people know where theor files are...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Look in your user profile under APPDATA (It's a hidden folder).

If you don't have write permission to a protected folder that you are trying to write files to then the files are redirected to your user profile. Has nothing to do with DOSBox.

Dominus wrote:

As Dosfreak wrote 😉
It's actualky a nice feature of Vista and w7. Instead of programs losing data and/or crashing the files are stored in the user profile.
MS should just use an overlay whenever that happens so people know where theor files are...

Holy cow! I learned something new today.

I agree, that is a brilliant innovation.

Reply 14 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

unfortunately it doesn't work for all files.
windows refuses to "virtualize" certain extensions

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!