VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aclades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I started this thread as I couldn't find a discussion on this board about which devices people are using to run Dosbox on and what the cons and pros of those devices are.

The reason I am starting this thread is to share my own experiences with the devices I have used and to get a better understanding on what options are available to play dos games.

So far I have run on Dosbox on my PC which shouldn't shock anyone and also on my HTC Diamond. Since everyone will be familiar with the PC I will leave that out of scope and focus on my experience with the HTC Diamond (Windows Mobile 6.1 phone).

Although Dosbox is functional on my Diamond I haven't found a game yet which I can comfortably play on my phone. After clicking or selecting there is no response for up to 10-15 seconds. I'm not sure if this is because of the version of Dosbox I was using on my phone or that the CPU is too slow (500mhz ARM).

So back to you guys, what kind of phone/tablet/netbook are you using and in your opinion what is the best device you are using Dosbox on?

Reply 1 of 4, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apart from my PC, I'm running DOSBox on an Acer Aspire One Netbook (Intel Atom cpu @1.6 GHz) and on a Samsung Galaxy S phone, overclocked to 1.252 GHz.
It's hard to tell which is the "best" device. Of course, the Aspire One runs better and faster and is much easier to control, which makes it first choice when I'm on a train and have a table to put it on.
On the SGS, it's at least as much fun to actually make DOSBox work properly, as it is to play games. There are virtual keyboard solutions that allow most games to be played pretty well (despite the the small screen), no matter if it's action-oriented games like Doom or Wing Commander or your favourite RPG or RTS. Of course, controls are a bit tedious, in the heat of battle it's only too easy to miss the right (virtual) key and meet an early death.
IMO the best device apart from the PC is my netbook, and I prefer to use it whenever possible. While you're waiting for the bus, though, or standing in line at the post office, it's a good thing if you can simply whip out your phone and kill some time (i.e. Kilrathi). 😎

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 2 of 4, by aclades

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting to hear about your experiences Xelasarg. How would you rate the performance on your Samsung Galaxy S, are there any noticeable low framerates when playing games?

I have been looking for a 'perfect' device with Dosbox and the closest I have found is the extremely overpriced Sony Vaio P. But I just can't justify shelling out that much money for a device I will primarily use as a Dos emulator 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi aclades,

performance on the SGS is very good (considering this is a telephone). Depending on the game/demo you're running, you can set cycles between 6500 (Ultima Underworld I) and 11000 (Doom I & Doom II). Normal values are 8500-9000 cycles in most games, above that sound becomes choppy. There are one or two threads in the development section of this forum about the different Android ports. Maybe you should consider a tablet like the Galaxy Tab or Motorola Xoom?
Of course, a note-/netbook is a lot better performance-wise, I don't know how the Vaio P would perform.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 4 of 4, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My PC and my black Nokia E52 (600MHz ARM11 CPU using Symbian OS).

Unfortunately, the CPU is a bit too weak to give an enjoyable gaming experience with UFO: Enemy Unknown which is pretty much the only reason why I want to use DOSBox on the phone to begin with. So now my hope there lies in OpenXCom.