VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by techgrrl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings Programs -

I want others to be able to telnet to my Fedora 14 system (bash bbs) and be able to launch and play Legend of the Red Dragon without dosbox spawning a new window - rather keep the session within the current telnet shell. Is this possible?

techgrrl

Reply 1 of 5, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm kinda working in a remotely similar situation. You can set the SDL renderer to null in the command line, so it doesn't spawn a new window. If by session, you mean have DOSBox output text directly to the executing shell, then I'm pretty sure you can't as DOSBox renders graphically, even when it's text. At least, with the stock build. Dunno about SVN versions.

I have a question for you: Are you using the socket inheritance system in DOSBox? Because, if you are, I'd like to know if you had a problem with DOSBox not taking input, but outputting text and graphics back to the client. I'm not running linux on my server, but if you have had that problem or can provide me your command-line/config files/LORD config info, it may help me.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but you are the 2nd person I've read about attempting something like this, but your post actually sounds like it's working, but you're just trying to take care of the host activity.

Reply 2 of 5, by Tark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you using the socket inheritance system in DOSBox? Because, if you are, I'd like to know if you had a problem with DOSBox not taking input, but outputting text and graphics back to the client

I'd like to know if you're using socket inheritance and have it working both ways, too.

Blue Lobster BBS
telnet://bluelobster.dyndns.org

Reply 3 of 5, by techgrrl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys I have no idea what socket inheritance is really - I've not delved into this very deeply, rather I just am approaching it 'top down' as it were.

I guess I'm being very simplistic as to my goal, but it seems this is, or at least should be doable in my estimation - in many respects isn't this what this program is supposed to do?

Wish I was more help with your questions, but out of my depth without a bit more investigation on my part.

😀 Cheers,
Techgrrl

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
techgrrl wrote:

in many respects isn't this what this program is supposed to do?

As Mr. Ariqu pointed out, DOSBox renders graphically, so what you describe is in fact precisely what DOSBox cannot do.

What exactly is "bash bbs", anyway? Google does not seem to recognize the term. (Yes, Bash is the Bourne Again Shell, and BBS is Bulletin Board System, but what is the combination of the two supposed to be?)

Reply 5 of 5, by Tark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want others to be able to telnet to my Fedora 14 system (bash bbs) and be able to launch and play Legend of the Red Dragon

Forgive me for giving you this advice (I hate it, too, when people do this to me). It won't solve your problem with DOSbox but it will accomplish your goal.

If you're going to put a BBS online in order to run LORD, use a dedicated machine that does nothing else. Find an old PC running Win 98 or ME, install Synchronet and set up LORD and run it. You can get an old PC for next to nothing ($5 or $10), or if your town is like mine, you can probably find one sitting in the trash on the curb as you pass down the street.

In Windows, Synchronet will run LORD flawlessly without any help. You don't need linux, Unix, dosemu, DOSbox, or socket inheritance. I can't imagine you wouldn't have it up and running in less than an hour.

Blue Lobster BBS
telnet://bluelobster.dyndns.org