VOGONS

Common searches

Advice needed

Topic actions

First post, by PandaMan96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seeing as this is my first post, I'll introduce myself. I'm 14 and I still go to school. I like games, new and old because unlike most people my age, I value quality of gameplay more than quality of graphics. But anyway, I installed DOSBox yesterday along with Frontier Elite 2 (seems like an awesome game) and all was going swimmingly until I opened the internet. Everything I clicked on would open a new window and if I left clicked on the desktop everything would become selected. So I uninstalled DOSBox and deleted the game folder because I suspected a virus. Doing so solved the problem but now I'm not sure whether it was DOSBox itself or the game folder I downloaded that caused the problem so my dad (who owns the computer) won't let me download DOSBox again... Help?
And also, when I did have DOSBox installed, I couldn't get the sound to work. How do I do this?

Reply 1 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you did a right click on the game and selected run with and searched dosbox from the list ?

(if you didn't, DON'T DO IT)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well then you did it alright.
DOSBox should not cause that kind of behaviour that you report.

For sound you probably have to run install.exe or setup.exe that comes with the game.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 16, by PandaMan96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so could it have been the game folder? Is there an official site to download games from, because I just did a google search.
As for sound, when I ran the game it gave me 3 options for sound support. I tried all of these but to no avail. There was only 1 exe file in the folder which was the game itself. Thanks for your quick responses by the way 😀

Reply 10 of 16, by PandaMan96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no I'm pretty sure there were no keys stuck or anything. One possible thing worthy of noting is I used the windows key (the one that opens the start menu in windows) to exit the dosbox window.

Reply 12 of 16, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is possible that SDL "lost" a release keystroke. It has been known to happen in some circumstances. It's consistent with the behavior you describe (the system thinks something like Shift is held down, because for whatever reason SDL missed the event when you stopped holding it from the game).

This is not a general problem with Dosbox, so you can assure your Dad that it is safe to at least test again. An easy way to test it is to run Dosbox but don't bother with a game, just type a bit in the Dosbox window, switch windows around and make sure everything is working correctly.

-Frob

Reply 13 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes you can point your dad to this thread. First thing I'd try would be re-installing dosbox
(from the official homepage), then start dosbox, exit it, and check your system.
At this point everything should run plain as usual, if not please report back.

Reply 15 of 16, by PandaMan96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok well I have it up and running again. I tried without a game first and it was fine and now I'm running a game and it's still fine. I also got the sound working (kind of). Thanks for all your help 😀