VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Margarita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, all!
Firstly sorry for my english - I am only learning. Secondly I'm sorry if this topic was discussed previously, I didn't find it.
My configuration is DosBox with MsDos 7.1 on it. I trying to install Qemm (97 and 7.5 with the same result). And after reset after Qemm Optimize the DosBox hangs.
The Debug build for DosBox shows that there is the problem of memory addressing - there are wrong values in the address registers (and as I see not only in the address registers).

I have errors smth like these
24762716: CPU:CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7
24762717: CPU:Illegal/Unhandled opcode 0ffd
24762718: CPU:Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 6
and these
Illegal read from 58720000, CS:IP 8d6c: 3924
Illegal write to 58720000, CS:IP 8d6c: 3924

My registers are
EAX=58725A7F ESI=00001644 DS=7246 ES=9FAB FS=0000 GS=0000 SS=9FAB
EBX=0000035A EDI=0000035D CS=F000 EIP=00001060
ECX=00000F00 EBP=000074E5
EDX=0000005C ESP=0000FFFF

What could be the reason of such behavior?
(my conf file is in attachment)

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.74.conf
    File size
    10.49 KiB
    Downloads
    239 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thank you,
Margarita.

Reply 1 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It appears you're booting a DOS, so I would recommend xms=false, ems=false, umb=false settings, although it may make no difference. You could try changing the core and cputype settings.

Reply 3 of 13, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting memory managers to run is not exactly the goal of the DOSBox project. The reason for DOSBox's existence is to be able to play games. I very much doubt that this is ever going to be supported. It might help if you tell us what exactly you're trying to do or which application you're trying to get working.

Reply 4 of 13, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should have no need to do this that I can think of, unless you have some specific example game that requires it.

QEMM filled two primary roles for most DOS users: it provided a DOS advaned memory API (protected mode/ems/xms) and attempted to remap used areas of the DOS stack into the 384K "high memory" region above regular DOS mapping.

DosBox effectively does both of these already. If you notice on a fresh invocation of dosbox, the free memory stack for DOS apps is more than you would ever see at a real DOS prompt (with stock .74, 632 kb free while already providing 63k in a high block and xms/ems).

So basically...why are you doing this? Dosbox can provide the services that QEMM provided much more efficiently.

Reply 5 of 13, by Margarita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank everyone for answers!
to ripsaw8080: I tried these settings for xms, ems, umb, core and cputype. You are right - no difference.
to valnar: You think it doesn't supported? But I saw in the different branches the advices to install qemm to the dosbox.
to dada: All that I did it installed DosBox, installed MS Dos and Qemm on it. (I had to install MS Dos, because Qemm asked the config.sys file, and as I know single DosBox doesn't have it). And after that DosBox with Ms Dos no longer boots.

Thank you,
Margarita.

Reply 6 of 13, by Margarita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

frobme, I do it for old application which worked in the real DOS system. This app needs the memory and some "task manager", that Qemm have. That why I need Qemm on the Dos.

Thank you,
Margarita.

Reply 7 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

By "task manager" do you mean DESQView? Have you tried running it in DOSBox without booting DOS? I guess it's understandable that DESQView would insist on QEMM, as they're both made by Quarterdeck.

Reply 9 of 13, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's no game I know of that requires DesqView. If you are trying to run BBS software or something like that which does require it, you'd be much better off using a virtual machine emulator (VMware, VirtualBox, etc).

I doubt Dosbox will be the best choice here, because instead of striving to replicate the underlying hardware behavior exactly, it instead tries to create the highest performance environment consistent with how Dos *games* run. However if you want to keep trying with Dosbox I would try setting UMB, XMS, and EMS to false in the config file, then installing DOS itself, and after that QEMM.

Reply 10 of 13, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As already indicated DOSBox is currently focused on supporting DOS games, not utilities or window managers. Due to that, you are likely better off using a different VM. VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) is also free, and would likely provide a better experience for your purposes.

Reply 11 of 13, by Margarita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for answers!
I am going to run not the game. It is a industry code, written in the early 90s. But this code requires qemm (more memory and multitasking), network and graphics.
I tried VB and many other virtual machines, but with one result - it all hangs after install qemm. I thought that it because almost all VM not emulates the processor (the 0-ring commands goes to the real processor without emulating).
And qemm does not run, because, as I understand, it uses instruction for jump to protected mode.
But I heard that DosBox fully emulates the processor.

Thank you,
Margarita.

Reply 12 of 13, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try either QEMU or Bochs, both of which are attempts to fully emulate a processor (not virtualize it). There are some google results of people getting QEMM running under Virtualbox, just not version 7.5.

Reply 13 of 13, by Margarita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for advice. I will try install qemm on the Bochs (I tried to use QEMU and VB)

As I understand, it is impossible at all to run qemm on the dosbox, and I can finish any attempts to do it. Right?

Thank you,
Margarita.