VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by subjugator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick heads up ran into this issue yesterday, may be helpful to some.

My DosBox PC has an ATI Radeon HD 4850 attached to a 17" CRT monitor. After upgrading to Catalyst driver 10.2 it stopped working in native 320x200 resolution, with resolution=original. It would produce a small image on a large black screen instead.

Rather than using scalers in what should be native resolution on a CRT monitor I rolled back to version 9.7 and the problem was solved. So I would advice against using v10 Catalyst for DosBox in original resolution.

Reply 2 of 4, by subjugator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not quite. When you use scalers and higher resolution it makes the picture a bit too smooth. In native 320x200 resolution you can see monitor scanlines that are lost when you use scalers and say higher resolution 800x600.

On the other hand scalers like tv2x and the like produce scanlines that are a bit too coarse. So for me there is no substitute for the original resolution on a trustly old CRT.

Reply 3 of 4, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm...you are maybe right. But on my 19" CRT, 640xXXX resolutions produce the same scanlines as 320xXXX. Don't know about 17"...but normal2x will never scale to 800x600 because it kicks in only for lower resolutions.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza