VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Naxuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've spent a good amount of time trying to make sense out of all this, and this is where I've decided to yell for help:

Apparently I need to create a bootable image with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on it to enable loading the NE2000 driver at boot, enabling Win 3.11 networking. Problem is, I have no idea whatsoever how to go about doing this. I've tried to make a bootable image of my own by using MB5's IMGMAKE and then trying to install Dos 6.22 on it, but the installation program requires booting the box with Ctrl-Alt-Del, which doesn't work. I've also tried to boot a pre-installed Dos 6.22 image, but MB5 just gives me the error message "PROGRAM_BOOT_UNABLE" when I use first use

"imgmount 2 "40mb.img" -size 512,63,16,650 -t hdd -fs none" to create an empty partition to install Windows to and then

"boot dos622.iso" to load up DOS. Of course, I could just copy the contents of the DOS622 iso to the empty IMG file, or could I?

Windows-side, I've tried to set up Windows Networking with a NE2000-compatible network adapter and the Microsoft TCP/IP stack, but I've understood all that is futile until I can load the NE2000 driver at startup.

Any pointers?

Reply 5 of 9, by Irishtiger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gang, what I am hearing is that it is not possible, even with Megabuild 5, to do networking with the NE2000 patch in Windows 3.11. I am having no joy using any of the suggestions here. Can someone who has gotten it working write a guide or help me out here? I'd really appreciate it.

IT

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

From what I read just above, it is possible...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by Irishtiger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

h-a-l, you've been able to get networking running using Bochs to create a disk image, right? Any special caveats outside of the link above?

Oh, and I am not using Mac. Thanks for the quick, albeit somewhat defeated-sounding, reply.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can create a hdd image from within the megabuild.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper