Mouse Sensitivity Problem

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

how exactly do you start dosbox with and without "-noconsole". Do you doulble click dosbox icon, run from cmd... sth else? How do you start both cases exactly?

You can either run it from the usual WinDoZe "Start/Run" and something like "C:\DOSBox\DOSBox.exe -noconsole -conf C:\DOSBox\DOSBox.conf", or simply edit your start menu/desktop shortcut.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 21 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think Robertmo knows how to do this he just wanted to know how *you* do it 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 26, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

meanwhile i will just notice that looking at your console outputs in both cases:
Re: Mouse Sensitivity Problem
shows there is definitely something wrong with your computer handling dosbox in both cases. Sth with video driver maybe.

You should also enclose the console output from the -noconsole. You can take it from a file that will appear in dosbox's folder after dosbox was started with -noconsole parameter. So we could compare that with your previous enclosures. I guess it should be the same as the first enclosure.

Reply 23 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

meanwhile i will just notice that looking at your console outputs in both cases:

Re: Mouse Sensitivity Problem

shows there is definitely something wrong with your computer handling dosbox in both cases. Sth with video driver maybe.

I suppose that you're refering to this part?

Failed to create hardware surface. 

Restarting video subsystem with windib enabled.

...and then:

SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver. 

Try to update your video card and directx drivers!

Usually, the first time that I run DOSBox upon a fresh bootup/powerup, I get the first error message. Each time starting DOSBox thereafter, I get the second error message.

My PC has ALWAYS had those error messages in the console. Recently, I've even installed a new(er) video card. The old one was an onboard Intel 82865G graphics controller, and the new(er) one is an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. Same error message though (and I have/had the latest/newest and final release versions of the video drivers installed).

BTW, the part about:

Serial1: Opening com1 

Serial1: Serial Port "com1" could not be opened. The specified port is already in use.

Was simply because back then, I was on an exteernal modem (dialup for Internet access), and had ran DOSBox while I was connected to the Internet (I used to have DOSBox configured for "serial1=directserial realport:com1" when I had a dialup ISP).

Anyhow, the thing about this mouse sensitivity problem:

There are quite a few messages here in the forums refering to the problem; Most of which are talking about the mouse sensitivity being higher when DOSBox is in windowed mode, and lower in fullscreen mode... and in almost ALL of the 320x200 video resolution games). I'm sure that the problem is somehow probably related.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 24 of 26, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you had some strange gfx card before, but if you still have same errors with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro that is definitely a normal card there is sth wrong with your pc for sure and that should be investigated in the first place.
Could ATI Radeon 9600 Pro be too old for DOSBox?

Reply 25 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

you had some strange gfx card before

In actuality, the Intel 82865G graphics controller is quite a common onboard chipset for various motherboards and brand-name PCs (e.g. the older Dell PCs).

robertmo wrote:

but if you still have same errors with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro that is definitely a normal card there is sth wrong with your pc for sure and that should be investigated in the first place.

I've been sure for quite some time that there is nothing "wrong" with my computer <grin> 😀

Anyhow, something that I've probably previously mentioned in this thread (but maybe not):

This sensitivity problem is ONLY with the left-right axis of the mouse... the up-down axis "feels" just fine (which has been mentione previosly here in the forums in other message threads; refering to windowed mode verses fullscreen mode of DOSBox for most of the 320x200 games).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 26 of 26, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SDL_Init: Starting up with SDL windib video driver. 

Try to update your video card and directx drivers!

above message is a sign that there IS sth wrong. DOSBox wasn't designed to work with windib. As a result of that some gfx output modes won't work, it is said to be slower, etc.

As for other people having similar problem, it doesn't mean there wasn't sth wrong with their pcs too.

Maybe someone having the same GFX card or the same error message should test doom games too. Or you should test games that other people had problems with but we would have to know if they have same error message or some old gfx card which may be hard to find out now unless they posted about it.

I think h-a-l-9000 may have the same error message.

I wonder what would happen if you try to borrow from some place a newer card that wouldn't generate the error and check games then.