VOGONS

Common searches

DOS LIVES!

Topic actions

First post, by olddosuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had heard of DosBox and finally decided to try it on my new laptop. It worked with Vista 32bit. There was one dumb game that I had that only worked on a 286 I had years ago. I even had a Pentium 75 that it would not run on. I always assume that it was the speed that caused the prob. It would crash my laptop where I would have to use the win key to get back to vista and close dosbox. It screwed up my display settings and reboot would not fix it. I figured out that it change the properties to 640x480 8 colors. I changed it back to proper settings. I played with the conf file and changed the machine setting with no luck. I then changed the video settings and what do you know the game ran fine. It was weird to see that game again. It had been approx. 15 yrs since I had seen the game run. The video setting is vgaonly. Appently the game never liked svga. I figured I would just leave it at vgaonly for all games. I also have a separate conf file one application. The problem had to do with the way i was mounting drives automatically in the conf file. so I created a separate file for that program. I also have dosbox set to run full screen at startup. i am really learning a lot. I still have to trial and error some games. They expect them to see certain drive leeters or folders (dirs). Some installers also expect to be installed from a:\drive. It has been really fun to get these games to in stall and run properly.

I do have a concern that DosBox will damage my laptop. Is it safe to run DosBos and these old games/apps on my laptop? My screen is a widescreen. Also, one annoying thing is the date/time stamp format. Is there a way to change toe way the date and time are shown in dosbox?

Also, I read on these boards that some people have written patches for DosBox. Where are these patches? There were 2 i was interested in. 1) LPT support and 2) allow user to select speed in mhz.

I hope DosBox continues to be supported and updated. It has been almost a yr since a new version has been released. I hope the project has not been abandon.

Reply 1 of 4, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Next dosbox version (will be soon) will work better with vista, it is not abandoned. It won't damage your laptop.

adjusting cycles=adjusting speed

dosbox with lpt patch is here http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/

Reply 4 of 4, by Nathan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
olddosuser wrote:

I still have to trial and error some games.

DOS games are always trial and error. 🤑

No, those are old NES game and those strange errors at the orginal cartriges. 😉