Common searches

Dosbox & Scalers

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you mean that if i plug a cga or ega card to my 286 or 386 or 486 or pentium or athlon computer and connect it with dsub (i don't know whether the cable would fit) to my crt 14" or 15" or 19" monitor it will display 200 lines with huge black lines between? (I have no such a card to check)

Reply 41 of 43, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

320x400 and 640x400 has the same number of lines - 400
i think you ment 320x200.

Nah, I meant exactly what I said: that it might be rendered as 400 lines by the graphics card, which doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be scaled up horizontally as well.

robertmo wrote:

320x200 is being displayed as 320x400 (640x400) on every 14" or larger monitor. There were no exceptions.

As h-a-l-9000 already mentioned, don't assume everything is VGA either. My EGA monitor definitely showed black lines with resolutions below 640x350. Hmmm... more nostalgia kicking in. So yeah, would love to see a scanline scaler.

Funny thing is I love the true retro look with these old games (it goes hand in hand with them, part of their charm) and hate imperfections with modern games.

And yes, I often play the old games specifically with FM sound or even PC speaker sound just for old times' sake, even though I have modern wavetable sound cards, several software synths, 3 Roland Synths and an experimental MIDI module sitting on my desk.

robertmo wrote:

you mean that if i plug a cga or ega card to my 286 or 386 or 486 or pentium or athlon computer and connect it with dsub (i don't know whether the cable would fit) to my crt 14" or 15" or 19" monitor it will display 200 lines with huge black lines between? (I have no such a card to check)

No, the EGA and CGA cards output digital signals, not analog as VGA does. The connectors won't even fit, which is a good thing.

Reply 42 of 43, by grete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there is an issue i have with opengl/none scaler:

on the bottom and right side of the window (fullscreen
too) i have a little bar which is not part of
the window/the actual window content. I think its
appr. one-pixel in size, have to measure it at home.
Its just white. So for example if you have a black
window, you have a little white frame at the bottom
an right side.
Not a big issue and maybe something out of your control,
just not good looking.