Common searches

DOSBox Project Name Change

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since QBix mentioned changing the name of DOSBox in the SourceForge Project of the Month interview

http://sourceforge.net/community/potm/
http://sourceforge.net/community/potm-200905/

Let's suggest some names!

The following are names of other VM/EM software:

Bochs
Vmware Workstation/Server (Name of company + type)
VirtualBox (Generic name)
Virtual PC (Generic name)
VirtualIron
QEMU
Xen
DOSEmu
PCEmu
ScummVM (Name of original game engine + VM)
MAME (Acronym)
MESS (Acronym)

Now, should DOSBox have a "PC" name since it emulates a "PC" or should it have a function specific name? (EX: DOSGameEm)

PC, VM, Virtual, Emu seem to be overused......

Mabye the emulator should just be renamed to "VOGONS"? 😉

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-05-03, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 55, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Just as DOSBox got a nice, new logo... The name DOSBox is mighty fine I think. No need to change it.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 55, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only problem with the current name IMO is the closely-named DOSEMU, which has a different purpose, but the two can easily be confused (and I've seen people that interchange both names under the mistake that they're the same).

Other than that, I rather like the name of DOSBox. It's short and easy to roll off the tongue (try saying DOSGameEm out loud... that would be hard to direct people to).

Reply 4 of 55, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The emulator name "DOSBox" might also confuse with the DOS Box of Windows (Start -> Execute).

But I tend to not change the name, too. Otherwise M$ complained about your app name a long time ago.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 55, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Okay - I just got a crazy idea! Since DOSBox per default starts up on the Z-drive, how about DOZBox? Or Z-Box?

Reply 10 of 55, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only problem with the name DOSBox is that the software is starting to do more than simply run DOS software. From a marketing perspective, given how strong the existing name is, that is not enough of a reason to change the name.

Last edited by Snover on 2009-05-04, 01:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 55, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
temptingthelure wrote:

DOSbox is an awesome name, dont change it!!

Something tells me your not objective.... 😀

I like the DOSBox name too. Kinda generic but it was the first PC emulator to have "box" in it's name so that's gotta count for something.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 55, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

let MS have Xbox, we have the mighty ZBOX!!!! 😀

Seriously, I think you can't change the name so late in the game anymore (unless someone pops up and has the name licensed for his database program or similar for ages...). Only problem that pops up once in a while is that DOSBox gets confused with the dos box and that is annoying...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 55, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOZBox

Reply 16 of 55, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DO530x0rz lulz.

Like Dominus said, DOSBox is a well known and explicit "brand" name, it would be silly to change it by now. I don't even think that the similarity with the "DOS box" aka cmd.exe window is a problem. Only techies know about it, and they won't mistake it for DOSBox.

Reply 17 of 55, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't ever ran into anybody who confused DOSBox with anything. 'Tis a good name. I'm not sure what you could ever change it to.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.