VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gordon228

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i was just wondering if dosbox can run under windows 95 if so then that would be great as seeing that i can move all my dose games over to a compy that will run these games witch will also have dos 6.22 so yes you could run the games in dos but gfx and sound might not work 🙁 thats why i ask so i can play game with sound.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if it was designed for W2k it might be too slow. The RAM size is good but the CPU power is more important. And you are maybe better off with VirtualPC or the like. Dosbox 0.72 is not stable with Windows 95. Current CVS is more stable, so maybe wait for the next version of Dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 95/98 have very good support for playing DOS games. I have a Pentium II 400MHz with Win98 and and am able to play Duke 3D, Descent, Zoop, Wacky Wheels, Raptor etc within a DOS Window (full screen of course). Make sure your sound card supports DOS emulation. Open a DOS window and type SET and press enter. You should see all your DOS environment variables, among them should be a line similar to this:

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6

Your values may be different but the BLASTER line should be there nonetheless to offer Soundblaster compatible sound.

Win95/98 also have a plain DOS 7 option built-in. Before Windows boots up hold down F8 and you will have menu of options, COMMAND PROMPT ONLY bypasses loading Windows and will give you a plain DOS prompt. The caveat is there is no CD-ROM or other drivers are so you will have to manually add them to CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT