VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was going to submit this as a feature request on SourceForge, however this is probably a design decision I don't understand.

Basically as the title says, the CVS tree of DOSBox has proper VGA text mode emulation but only when using machine=vgaonly, and I wonder why it doesn't get used for all the svga* modes as well. I much prefer the accurate representation of text that is currently displayed in vgaonly (I really have a hard time standing the squished text normally displayed, but oh well), but there's several games I play that need one of the SVGA cards.

I realize from talking with some other people, that they feel the aspect is better kept in a window with the squished text, although that's negated by full screen mode anyway (the monitor takes care of being vertically taller...).

Reply 3 of 16, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh, 720x400 works for me (listed in xrandr and all; Intel 965GM graphics).

How is it less troublesome btw? I realize that you need special cases for which characters to copy the 8th column and which you don't (192 < n < 223; figured this out before making a patch for Chocolate Doom, heh), but it doesn't seem like it's all that much trouble.

Reply 6 of 16, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, indeed. It was basically a simple expanded version of the typically useless "works for me" response 😜

Also if anyone's concerned on the aspect part (text mode graphics like post-game messages) and won't be able to use it full screen, it might simply be configurable with an option like vgatext={normal,thin} or some variation to that extent for the (S)VGA modes.

Of course this is only brainstorming ideas about it.

Reply 7 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the reason h-a-l-9000 is an important reason.
(graphics cards not supporting 720x400 anymore)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 16, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If that's a reason then why would vgaonly already have the feature? 😀 (Would you disable 320x200 fullscreen too because some video card drivers don't have the mode?)

I actually understand why it may not be visually desirable, which is also why I suggested that perhaps it could be toggle-able in addition to being in all the svga modes. 😒

Reply 9 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

vgaonly is not selected by default, so no problem that it uses an exotic mode.
Aside from that I don't consider it important enough to have its own option in the configfile.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

is also why I suggested that perhaps it could be toggle-able in addition to being in all the svga modes

This won't happen, if you want 9bit wide fonts use vgaonly, if you want svga then use the default.

Reply 11 of 16, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

the reason h-a-l-9000 is an important reason.
(graphics cards not supporting 720x400 anymore)

Modern cards that claim to be VGA compatible should support this mode. Many people still see text modes when booting. For example, on my ASUS P2B-F motherboard, the boot screen will start in the EGA text mode and switch to the VGA text mode if a VGA card is found in the adapter after the initial bootup screen.

720x400 is the default resolution of a modern LCD if you send it any lower resolution other than 640x480. Also, the Hercules mode should have the 9-pixel character cell by default, just like any true Hercules or MDA card would.

Unfortunately, 720x400 does not scale on most LCD screens as well as 640x400. Nonetheless, it should be the default for VGA or SVGA cards.

Reply 13 of 16, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

is also why I suggested that perhaps it could be toggle-able in addition to being in all the svga modes

This won't happen, if you want 9bit wide fonts use vgaonly, if you want svga then use the default.

Might I ask why the SVGA modes won't include this even as an option?

Quite frankly the 8-pixel-wide rendering looks ugly as hell but there's programs that need the extended capabilities of svga 😒

Reply 14 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Quite frankly the 8-pixel-wide rendering looks ugly as hell

I like it.

Might I ask why the SVGA modes won't include this even as an option?

There won't be hundreds of options for every little detail. If you want 9bit
wide fonts use the respective option.

Reply 15 of 16, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's really a case of being more accurate to how PCs really were. I guess I've just used PCs for so long that I can't stand the squished text, but whatever.

I'll just have to make a patch myself then if I really want this. 😒