VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nuclear0508

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i can't not play prehistorik 2. please tell me what i can do.

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using DosBox it starts loading but after selecting play i got a scrollie screen, then an overhead map and then a black screen. It seems the game uses some undocumented/weird video routine somewhere.
Without using DosBox, it won't pass the overmap, neither. Black screen too.

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by nuclear0508 i can't not play prehistorik 2.

Hrmm. My first thought is to emulate the Amiga original instead. *heh* Not what you want to hear I'm sure.

tell me what i can do.

A dangerous choice of words for posters that have had a really long day. *heh*

Will try to find mine. Unfortunately mine is on a CD with an annoying "auto-DOS-menu" function that frequently doesn't work...so I'm not sure how representative it will be.

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For now, the best way of running this game is to run it under real DOS. If you don't have a SB or SB emulation, you'll still get some sound effects coming from the internal speaker. As Nich Sehr Gut suggested, get the Amiga version. It could be less painful to run.

Reply 5 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR As Nich Sehr Gut suggested, get the Amiga version. It could be less painful to run.

Actually, I was half-kidding on the Amiga version. I'm certain it runs fine in emulation, but I've yet to get to the point of testing the PC version.

Another issue is finding the Amiga version. It's not common apparently (still protected from public distribution). Can't even seem to find a demo. I can't even remember if I actually have it (something which is rapidly becoming a moot point as my Amiga floppies start to disintegrate...apparently leaving them in a storage shed for years is bad for them).

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With VDMSound in XP: Starts up, music and sounds work...right up to the point where you actually start...then...Oblivion.

In DosBox, it just drops dead.

In Win98SE, all audio was broken (either missing or horribly distorted), but the game played properly.