VOGONS

Common searches

version .63

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 24 of 37, by latis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

So you're PMing other people now links to old versions? I thought it was
VERY clear that it is NOT appreciated to distribute them.

If someone notices that a game is not working good in the newest version, it is for the best to inform the DOSBox team, so they can fix it.
But does that someone has to wait for a new version, before he/she can play the specific game?
And do you think that that someone is going to delete 0.72 from his/her system? of course not.

link removed because of abandonware 😖

Reply 26 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They don't have to wait, they can use Google to find it and download it if they really want it. Heck, they can even use Google to download it from the DOSBox sourceforge site.

The point was to make the older DOSBox versions not as readily available which would force people to report games that supposedly do not work in the latest versions. (The kind of people who wouldn't bother to search for older versions of DOSBox, basically they see a link and they click on it and they are happy)

Most of the people complaining are either wanting to download the old version because someone or some guide told them to and they don't bother to download the latest version of DOSBox and try it there first. They seem to think that an old version of DOSBox from 2004 is better than the one from 2007. (Actually they don't even check dates or versions they just click on a link and download).

and then you have the OP who say's that:

I've done some comparing in the past, and certain versions seemed to work better for certain games

Yet he won't say what games......

or

Anyways, just wanted to compare the versions... frame-rate changes, etc.

Which implies he really doesn't know alot about DOSBox or how it works. (So he really doesn't need an older version anyway).

There seems to be an common understanding that "older is better" when it comes to software which is not necessarily true and is definetly not true in the case of DOSBox. There may very well be games that don't work in the latest DOSBox but did work well in older versions.......but unless people actually report them then they will never be fixed.

I'm thinking with the next official release of DOSBox I'll go through my games again and test every single one again, then upload that to the database (and remove the older entries for the same games if information is outdated) and we should have a reasonable accurate base to start off with for the new version in the database.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-09-15, 18:34. Edited 5 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 37, by latis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

But does that someone has to wait for a new version, before he/she can play the specific game?

So which games exactly? I'm aware of, let's see, ZERO games that work
in 0.63 and don't work in 0.70+.

I don't know what the OP was referring to.
I myself had some issues with Wings of Fury, which I still did not report 😒

link removed because of abandonware 😖

Reply 28 of 37, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If it was so important to people I would have expected a greater response to my previous offer:

MiniMax wrote:

PayPal me 10$ and I will send you a download link.

But so far the number of requests has been zero. In light of this, I am considering lowering the price to just 5$. Anyone?

Btw: Re: "Wings of Glory" crash in DOSBox 0.7

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 30 of 37, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Wings of Glory == Wings of Fury ?

Ups, my bad I think.

Reply 32 of 37, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Qbix wrote:

sorry MiniMax.

I hope my family will understand this when they don't get any gifts for Christmas.

Reply 34 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

then open a thread in the games forum and post the relevant information so people can help you track down the problem. and is the machine you tried this on the same as before? did you use a clean conf file, etc. etc...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 35 of 37, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Alesha works fine, along with sound. Both 0.72 as well as cvs.
If the sound is buggy for you check the sound settings, tweak the frequency
and stuff and open a new posting if it doesn't work as already mentioned.
Either way it is fully playable in recent dosbox versions.

Reply 36 of 37, by R33D3M33R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Maybe a header for entry could be added too. "This is a user-submitted database, A game listed broken is not necessarily so. Try the latest DOSBox version first!".

Well that is a great idea. Because "newer is better" isn't alway true, some people can get confused when they see that they are only 194 supported games. There should at least be a "games tested" column instead of a number in brackets.