VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by meter98collector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First up - the system I am looking to run DOSBox on and to which I have already downloaded the appropriate copy of 0.72:
Mac mini (Intel) with 2GB of DDR RAM; integrated video and sound; OS X 10.5.4...

I realize DOSBox is primarily intended for emulating old DOS games, but I keep seeing snippets here and there of the fact that it may have some capability to support serial port operation and that some people have been able to run some old DOS apps on it successfully. I already did RTFM but it didn't get deep enough into the serial port capabilities to satisfy my questions.

I have a few old DOS apps and I have been able to open at least one of them up in DOSBox just fine, but it and the others I'm looking to monkey around with will all be useless without serial support, so I just want to be sure that one, there is some serial support, and two, any known limitations. I would also be using a USB-serial converter.

As for which frontend app to use, it appears the only one that has the ability to access the serial options is Dapplegrey, so it looks like I'd be using that program.

Thanks in advance... 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some work, some don't. There is a tendency of applications needing strict timing not working. You'd have to try. USB/Serial adapters can cause all kinds of troubles too.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 4, by mf2hd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

maybe the usb->RS232 works in dosbox with the help of a "software bridge" from the real port and a virtual port.

The software (free):
http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

Steps:

- Device -> Create New Device
- Select "Connector"
- Select the desidered virtual "COM Y" ( "Y" from COM1 to COM4)
- Check on the last screen if the new port is "COMY Initialization...OK"
- Device -> Create New Device
- Select "Serial Redirector"
- In "Specify device characteristics" window set the two serial port, the real COMX (left) and virtual one COMY (right)
- If the communicaton settings are know use the "Settings..." buttons under the COM : must be the same for each port (e.g. 9600,8,n,1).
- The last screen shows :"COMX<=>COMY Initialization...OK"
- File-> Save as... -> save your configuration with a name, an icon is create on desktop.
When you need that configuration, start it with dubble-click on its icon.

I've test it with a motherboard serial port and works fine.

Please report the tests result if you try it with usb adapter or pci port.
Thanks.