VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox and XBOX 360 controller

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can get my buttons to work but the d pad and joystick I can not at all. I use dosbox 0.71 I am using the old one cause d.o.g doesn't work with the new 0.72..

I was trying to play warcraft 1 on my tv using my computer. So is there a file or a program I could use for dosbox?

Reply 22 of 37, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or use DBGL instead of DOG.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 37, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't use a front-end when I keymap the controller but thats besides the point I was just mearly asking a question.

eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Get rid of the front-end. DOSBox isn't that difficult to operate, really.

Reply 24 of 37, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Our objection is not about the frontend. It is about you using an old version. Use 0.72 and see if the problem still exist.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 25 of 37, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wanted to say that I updated it and still did the same on warcraft 1 I used the d pad for the up down left right keys for the scrolling and didn't work. And use the joystick for the axis but didn't work I did atho use the buttons the scrolling was fine just can't use the mouse for the joystick... I did try the buttons for the axis didn't work either.

MiniMax wrote:

Our objection is not about the frontend. It is about you using an old version. Use 0.72 and see if the problem still exist.

Reply 26 of 37, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, here is what I did on the mapper....

first tried mapping the (up, down, left, right) keybaord keys to the corrisponding directions on my controller's d-pad. Nothing. only joystick works, d-pad did nothing. (games uses direction keys for movment)

So, then I tried setting the emulated controllers directions to corrispond to the with d-pad. Same exact result. joystick only, d-pad did nothing. (made sure game was set to use controller, game detected controller just fine.)

I also tried changing the joystick type on the config and tried each one with emulated joystick and keyboard mapping. 2axis is the only one that worked ok for buttons and joystick, but no d-pad. all others didn't work right.
So I assume I chose the correct joystick type in config. Now just gotta get that d-pad working.
For games like POP2 trying to move diagnal very difficult with joystick.

Reply 28 of 37, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

config: loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf
midi:opened devise:win32
using joystick controller <xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows> with 5 axes, 10 buttons and 1 hat<s>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I place the keyboard keys on the d pad the dosbox status window didn't change. I didn't had warcraft 1 on. I also try it when I had warcraft 1 on nothing on status change..

When I tried all my buttons it was only 1 too 4 on each button I am gonna try logitech wingman cordless.

wd wrote:

What does the console window tell?

Reply 29 of 37, by wolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Event:jhat_0_0_0
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 up

Event:jhat_0_0_2
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 down

Event:jhat_0_0_3
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 left

Event:jhat_0_0_1
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 right

all the buttons works great.

Reply 30 of 37, by Keith03820

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why didn't bind came up? I tried the 4 buttons it works for the game but the d pad and joystick doesn't.. I just did the buttons again it's 0 to 3 not 1 to 4.

wolf wrote:
Event:jhat_0_0_0 BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 up […]
Show full quote

Event:jhat_0_0_0
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 up

Event:jhat_0_0_2
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 down

Event:jhat_0_0_3
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 left

Event:jhat_0_0_1
BIND:Controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows) Hat 0 right

all the buttons works great.

Reply 31 of 37, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ok i'm leaving this thread, if you both have discussed it long enough please
each of you create a new thread for his very problem with a precise description
of the results (including the output of the dosbox CONSOLE window).

Reply 33 of 37, by nayasis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wolf. you're right. doxbox did not support correctly D-pad in XBOX360 pad or PS2 pad or anything else.
( I'm using window7 and PS2 pad like you. ^^ )

following setting may be helpful you but it's not best soultion. In my opinion, doxbox should implement virtual key mapper for fully supporting D-pad but... author must be admired by users and he is not responsible about this problem.

1. dosbox.conf -> [joystick] joysticktype=fcs
2. press ctrl-F1 and map your D-pad at arrow key not at jaxis

( yeah. it's not joystick setting but it is only solution i ever found. )

Reply 34 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there are bugs in joystick mapper so you have to delete it every time after you change joysticktype= or even if you reconnect joystick/joysticks or turn on/off analog button. Generally after any change in joysticks configuration.

Reply 35 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nayasis wrote:
wolf. you're right. doxbox did not support correctly D-pad in XBOX360 pad or PS2 pad or anything else. ( I'm using window7 and P […]
Show full quote

wolf. you're right. doxbox did not support correctly D-pad in XBOX360 pad or PS2 pad or anything else.
( I'm using window7 and PS2 pad like you. ^^ )

following setting may be helpful you but it's not best soultion. In my opinion, doxbox should implement virtual key mapper for fully supporting D-pad but... author must be admired by users and he is not responsible about this problem.

2. press ctrl-F1 and map your D-pad at arrow key not at jaxis

( yeah. it's not joystick setting but it is only solution i ever found. )

works properly but you also have to clear old d-pad mappings, so:
2. press ctrl-F1 and map your D-pad at jaxis
3. press ctrl-F1 and unmap original D-pad mappings

As a result both D-pad and analog axis work for directions.

Reply 37 of 37, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

unmapping is not needed, it is enough to do:
2. press ctrl-F1 and map your D-pad at jaxis

although unmapping was helpfull when a person was by mistake mapping the other way: jaxis to d-pad 😉