VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That nobody has brought up the point of saving the Save Games of games played in DosBox......

With all of the people playing games in DosBox now days it would be highly usefull if we could get these people to upload their saved games to some location.

Anyone know what the legality of uploading saved games is to the internet?

Of course saved games are highly dependent on the version of the game so any saved game uploaded would need to provide this info.

We'd probably be better off just accepting Saved Games from DosBox Beta Testers most likely or providing instructions or a utility so users could identify their version of the game.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-03-03, 18:24. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 3, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see anything illegal about it, it's been done for years and no one's ever complained. In fact didn't sierra used to give out saves for problem areas of their adventure games?

Now is there any particular reason? Maybe just for testing purposes? If so I'd be glad to post mine, I just recently played GK1 & 2. It's actually a good idea to vouch for dosbox's compatibility. Like a "heres the spot I'm talking about" when posting about problems. If this does go through we'd need some sort of form to upload, with a description containing the location, comments and maybe the version number of the game (since saves sometimes do not work in every version).

Reply 2 of 3, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Anyone know what the legality of uploading saved games is to the internet?

no such problem
just think of all the tons of savegames for all the Tomb Raider series from #1 to the very latest that have been freely and constantly distributed for years

Reply 3 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the Sierra games have a "version" file in the game's directory with version info. Sometimes patches will upgrade the game version without updating this file, while rendering previous save games useless. Any version info for save games should also include info about any patches applied.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers