VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kirkaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the installer.exe file to my desktip, installed version 72, and now want to delete the installer.exe but cannot. The message says access denied.

HELP!?

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 7, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"The reboot did it. Thanks! but I don't understand."

Some program (that's running in the background for example) opened the file and didn't close it, which is why it says access denied. The culprit is often a Shell Extension (they add custom views of different types of files to Windows Explorer for example). You can find out which program is keeping the file opened with Microsoft's Process Explorer and sometimes forcibly close the handle. If that doesn't work, you can kill the program with the Task Manager without having to reboot the computer. If the culprit is Explorer (usually caused by a Shell Extension) and you end up killing it, you can restart it from Task Manager's File->New Task.

For example a DRM-related Shell Extension ("SecuROM context menu for Explorer.") that comes with Diablo 2 prevents deleting 16-bit executables with Windows Explorer. You can view all your Shell Extensions with ShellExView.

Reply 7 of 7, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Check out the tool "unlocker". It's great, with one right-click on the file it can tell you what's locking, it can delete locked files, it can close handles, it can close programs and if all that doesn't work it can delete on next boot.