Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 900 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A question: whenever you delete a DFR profile, are the caps in the \Capture folder deleted by default? I've noticed they aren't in my system, but I'm not sure if I once touched anything regarding that.

EDIT: Forget it. Silly me! I completely forgot that using the "uninstall game" option lets you choose wether to delete the game folder and the screenshot folder as well as the profile. I'll just have to get used to using that option instead of doing all these things manually.

Reply 901 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@skatz:
Confirmed and fixed.

@sst:
This is not a real bug. On starting D-Fend Reloaded is loading the language, then loading the games list and then activating a profile. Before activating a profile the internal English value for the screenshot label is visible. The screenshot label can have three states:
1.) DOSBox store screenshots info
2.) ScummVM stroe screenshtos info
3.) invisble (when screenshots are available)
Until now the initial state was 1. Now I have changed it to 3. BTW: Do you really think it's a problem if the translation is not activated on all controls synchronistically at start up?

If no other dramatical bugs arise the next days, I will release D-Fend Reloaded 0.8.1 beginning of next week.

Reply 902 of 2280, by colonny55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

@EvilHimself and colonny55:
Would it be acceptable to you if the two features requested by you (selection of the scaling algorithm and automatic creation of conf files) would be untranslated hidden feature in 0.8.1 (and than official features in 0.9.0 which will be released not before winter this year). If there are no new language strings, I can release 0.8.1 without going though the complete translation procress which is much faster for me and less work for the translators.

That would be great. Thank you!

Reply 905 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.8.1rc1", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
-

>>> (Alexander) BTW: Do you really think it's a problem if the translation is not activated on all controls synchronistically at start up?

Respond = It's like read an user-manual, and a French reader have only 99% French translation of that user-manual, but not 100% translated. (It will not understand, the 1% of the translation).

---

---------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 906 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.8.1rc1", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
-
No bug to report, ... 😀
-
p.s. i dont remember, how to enable hidden feature(s), = hidden option(s).
(it's sure that i have to look in the Forum, to how to enable it.)
-
The D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.8.1rc1", software is stable, ... 😀
-
I will try hidden feature(s), as soon as possible.
---

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 909 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
Again about confiles autocreation: when you create them for whole database you break loop on non-dosbox profile encounted. So the rest of base remains unprocessed.
I do not think it is very serious, user always can edit/save profile.

Reply 910 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander,

I'm running the 0.8.1 with a portable installation. I've just created a few desktop shortcuts, and when you mouse over every one of them, they say "Run (game) in ScummVM" even though they aren't all run through ScummVM.

Thanks,
Steve

Reply 911 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,
that's bad luck; because the conf file auto creation is not even an official feature in 0.8.1 there will be no bugfix version fixing this even not yet offically existing feature. (But of course it will be fixed in 0.9.)

Hi Ranthalion75,
it looks like you have found the first bug in 0.8.1. Because it's only the hint and only when creating multiple shortcuts at once, this is a minor bug for me. In 0.9 this will be fixed. As long as there a no really important bugs there will be no second bugfix release. (So I can work on 0.9 and not stay in the 0.8.x branch eternally.)

Reply 913 of 2280, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I decided that using DOSBox by itself to start everygame was a little inconvienient not that I dont mind commandline land, a GUI can tend to be a bit nicer though. i really like D-Fend Reloaded and it worked really well when i had maybe only 150 games in it but then i got a whole lot more games so now i have 2,795 prof files. the problem is that for some reason it takes about 30 seconds to start any dosbox game eg Prince of Persia as i put more and more games the time it took to start a game got longer and longer till its about 30 seconds i think.

30 seconds to start a DOS game on a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3Ghz) seems a bit wrong. ive also been using d-fend over the network just pointing the games folder and base folder to a mapped network drive. on a Pentium III 933Mhz a game can take 3 minutes to start last time i checked which is very annoying. However if i start a ScummVM game eg Monkey Island it starts pretty much instantly like it should.

E8400 is running Windows 7 x86
PIII is running XP

Reply 915 of 2280, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
awergh wrote:

Recently I decided that using DOSBox by itself to start everygame was a little inconvienient

You can still use a frontend to tinker with a game setup, but why not - when you have the game configured properly - launch it from the frontend and instead of starting the game, issue the CONFIG -WRITECONF MYCONF.CONF command to have the setup saved in portable config file?

Then all you need is to create a custom set of shortcuts to launch DOSBox with that specific config. Now your game will start in 4 seconds.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 916 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi awergh,

the function for running DOSBox only gets the game record to start, so the time needed to start DOSBox should be independed on the number of games in the list. But: There have been similar problems on starting D-Fend Reloaded on large game list. The problem only occured on some starting window size settings. In some settings the UpdateList event was (for some strange reason) fired hundred of times and each time the long list had to be updated. I guess we have got some problem like this here, too. So can you tell me all of your visual settings in D-Fend Reloaded please (what to do with the main window when DOSBox starts, what view mode, DOSBox window or fullscreen mode etc.).

Some little status update:
Because the "data viewer area not resizeable anymore" bug is really annoying me, I'm planning a 0.8.2 release at the moment. This release will not only fix the official bugs but also the bugs in the inofficial features. Additionally it will bring a new inofficial feature: The profile editor will be able to add mounting settings if needed automatically (as the wizard already does). Because the official GUI for this won't be there before 0.9 this option will be turned off by default. But in 0.9 it will be turned on by default. (I have implemented this because I have read things like "DFR says my game is not reachable, I have placed it in C:\OLDGAMES\ and of course not used the wizard." very often.) Also the functions for loading the games list and the program icons have been optimized, which means DFR 0.8.2 will start a bit faster. - Or even at bit more than a bit.

And one more thing: 0.8.2 will be a bit of a "beta 0" for 0.9 because the big new thing I'm already planning since DFR 0.7 will be available in 0.8.2 as an inofficial feature. - Watch out for some new entry in the File|Import menu...

And some (at least for me) bad news:
In their current issue c't (most important German computer magazine) has got a 4 pages articale about DOSBox. They are also mentioning some frontends. They are explaning the advantages of DBGL and D.O.G. and listing DosBlaster and Boxer as "also mentionable". - But not a single word about D-Fend Reloaded. Even not in their refering link list (www.ctmagazin.de/0918152). 🙁

Reply 917 of 2280, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's ridiculous! I liked D.O.G. very much, in fact it was my frontend of choice, but it hasn't been updated in a long time, so it's not even an option nowadays. D-Fend Reloaded AFAIK is the best, most complete frontend available. How it was not even mentioned is unthinkable and outrageous.

Boxer is fantastic and unique, but alas is for Apples only.

What were the guys at that magazine thinking? They've done a disservice to their readers.

Reply 918 of 2280, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Alexander wrote:

And some (at least for me) bad news:
In their current issue c't (most important German computer magazine) has got a 4 pages articale about DOSBox. They are also mentioning some frontends. They are explaning the advantages of DBGL and D.O.G. and listing DosBlaster and Boxer as "also mentionable". - But not a single word about D-Fend Reloaded. Even not in their refering link list (www.ctmagazin.de/0918152). 🙁

I am sure their vocal readership will inform the editor about this omission. When I trawl the Internet, it seems like DFR is the most popular DOSBox frontend among Windows users. Take some comfort in that.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions