VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dungeon Master seems run fine in DOSBox (OSX) but when I play it, mouse behaves normally when sometimes suddenly I lost control because of brutal slowdown. If I wait 1s or 2, things come back to normal but the problem will come back soon. Eventually this start only when I move the mouse a bit faster over stuff like the movement commands icons.

I search on this forum, and on the net but I found nothing. Either I'm alone in the world to have ever try play Dungeon Master on DOSBox (it's true that's there's a port, perhaps everybody but me use it 😁 ). Either I'm alone to be blocked by this problem. 😵

That's weird I don't see what wrong thing I could do for the setup of this game:
- When I start DM I have to select the setup options, language, VGA, soundblaster and mouse use. I can't see what could be wrong here.
- In DOSBox setup, the soundbaster stuff is to default, anyway the sound is working fine.
- Mouse sensitivity is 100 (it's fine when there's not the slowdown).
- Mouse autolock is true (anyway fullscreen or window mode, the problem is the same).
- I tried many different setup for the cpu and memory setting in DOSBox, that change nothing, last try was :
- core auto (but dynamic change nothing)
- cycle max
- I tried various graphic output setup but that changed nothing.

Any suggestion I could try? Or perhaps it's a known problem?

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

if you can compile dosbox yourself you might want to try a cvs build. We now merge multiple move commands into one move at least when a button is pressed. The problem is probably that the mouse event cue is getting full and the game can't process them fast enough. you might want to increase the cycles (not max as dunguon master is a real mode game if i recall correctly) Try 6000 or so

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

6000? thanks for the tip I'll try this or something different than max. But is this will lowdown number of mouse events to the game more than than the CPU lost by the game? 😵

I need add an important information :
- same DM files,
- same DM setup,
- very similar DOSBox setup
- but DOSBox windows instead of OSX
and I couldn't reproduce the problem when it's easy in DOSBox OSX. What's weird is that I played about 10 games in DOSBox OSX and it's the first where I got this problem.

For compilation in OSX, cough cough. 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lol Qbix remove you disguise, I discovered your secret identity, you're a wizard! 😉

Your trick to remove core max worked fine, I tried with 5000 and couldn't reproduce the problem in DOSBox OSX. Well I still have to really play the whole game to see but with max it was really easy to reproduce the problem so the change is significant.