VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have read the OS X doc of DOSBox and it's not clear how I could do shortcuts on DOSBox

Shortcuts to :
- Launch DOSBox
- Use the standard preference file
- Overide some settings of the preference file
- Launch a game.

I'm not looking for an application launcher but well if there's a solid one in final version for OS X, you can also suggest me this.

I also don't want duplicate the full preference file if this is possible.

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you can get OSX to execute a command like

dosbox -conf /path/to/standard.conf -conf /path/to/override.conf -conf /path/to/autoexec.conf

then I think you are done.

For a frontend, try DBGL.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks man, cool trick, now I just need find the OS X equivalent command line. That's not ironical, your trick is a big part of what I was looking for.

I'll put sample of OSX line here if I found it, but for now as lazy mac user I'll try first the front end even if it is a bit beta in OSX version. 😁

Reply 3 of 10, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
huiope wrote:

Thanks man, cool trick, now I just need find the OS X equivalent command line.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Klimawandel.

Reply 4 of 10, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, yes the terminal is helful to get the right command to launch DOSBox. So it by launching Contents/MacOS/DOSBox which is inside DOSBox.app, for example :
/Applications/Utilities/DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox

But well before investigate more command lines, I tried first DBGL and it rules I have seen only two weakness :
- It doesn't allow to choose screen size other than in a defined list, but ok my current favorite res for games under DOSBox is here.
- It doesn't allow to choose a memory size other than in a defined list which is quite short. Well for now it's not a problem.

Apart that, it rules, thanks for the suggestion.

Reply 5 of 10, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Press 'File' -> 'Adjust Settings' -> 'Dynamic options' and go crazy 😁

Unfortunately, DBGL cannot create desktop shortcuts on a Mac yet since I haven't got a clue how to do this on OS X and Linux. If anyone can show me some example Java code (or an API) to implement this, please do!

Reply 6 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ronald, I am curious if you have a shortcut ability on Linux, yet? I'm not sure how much standardization there is with shortcuts on the different desktop GUIs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 10, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rcblanke thank you, cough cough I can't even say I didn't read the doc as any power user, I also didn't look at the menu. 😀

Shorcuts? There are shortcuts on OS X, it's alias, yes it's pretty basic if you compare to stuff windows name shortcut. Windows names shortcuts many different things, some are like the basic alias on OS X, some like to run a DOS file have much more settings. It's a view of mind, on OS X and any unix, a shortcut could be a shell file.

On OSX create a shell file doing the shorcut job, and say your user it's a shortcut and you get it.

A second option is to use association file, and associate .exe files to DGBL. Then when you click on the .exe it launch DBGL and if DGBL has a setup for this exe it starts it.

Reply 8 of 10, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In fact 'File' -> 'Adjust Settings' -> 'Dynamic options' doesn't work in the DGBL OSX version. Well until this is fixed I found an easy way to do it myself easily, it's just to edit the file in the app package, DBGL.app/Contents/MacOS/settings.conf

It is easy to read and modify with TextEdit.

I also noticed another problem, not really important, quit DGBL is ok with the application menu but not the quit command in the file menu.

I also gave a look to Dapplegrey, well there's a ton of work, it explains plenty things related to DOSBox. It adds many little things but also adds many facilities that are now included in the last version of DOSBox. Its main problem is that it needs a strong redesign of its interface.

Reply 9 of 10, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
huiope wrote:

I also gave a look to Dapplegrey, ... Its main problem is that it needs a strong redesign of its interface.

Direct Hit! 😁

That's what I planned to change in version 2. 😎
Yes, Dapplegrey (for short: dg) hides options not available to the db version choosen.

Klimawandel.

Reply 10 of 10, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😁 I suppose you already has the new interface in mind but if I can make a suggestion, makes it with icons. Finder like could be a little too complicated so eventually stick to only one list but at least with an optional "column" for an icon. A default icons could be used and eventually a quick way to use the ugly windows icons later DOS games had. Eventually allows a second view with icons+Label only. Later you could add either folders, either user defined filters list. 😀