VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vemp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've just installed dosbox 0.72 on osX, and i'm trying to get a working config for a couple games, like frontier - elite II and eye of the beholder.

The problem is I just can't get them to run in windowed mode with 2x scaling active. I've set up scaler=normal2x forced in the config, and this gets the DOS prompt window scaled up right, but when i call frontier.bat or eob.bat, the game loads, seems to switch screen mode and falls back to 1x scaling, which is way too small.

Did I miss something in the config file comments?

Current config file reads - for interested parts

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
Windowresolution=original
output=surface
hwscale=1.00

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x forced

any hint welcome, thanks in advance 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

That hwscale= thing - what is that??

Try dropping that scaler= stuff, and instead use windowresolution=800x600, maybe with a change of output=.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

Look not to bring the topic back to light, but THIS is exactly why people complain about the attitude of regulars here. The man just asked a question, you don't need to be crabby.

Reply 5 of 10, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Look not to bring the topic back to light, but THIS is exactly why people complain about the attitude of regulars here. The man just asked a question, you don't need to be crabby.

And he isn't crabby. Maybe he just doesn't remember that it's the old option that was dropped from dosbox.conf (perhaps you also don't remember). There are far "better" examples to brag about than this.

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I *did* check that option, both in the standard 0.72 dosbox.conf, and on the DOSBox Wiki, but came up empty handed. So I knew it was no a valid option, which in all likelyhood will simply be ignored by DOSBox, and not cause any harm.

Asking about it was my way of prompting the original poster to go back to the documentation, read up on the SDL-options, and in the process learn a thing or two. That is part of my modus operandi - to encourage people to learn enough to solve the problems themselves instead of spoonfeeding them an answer.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And do generate a new dosbox.conf. Rename the old one, start Dosbox and type "config -wc dosbox.conf" and hit enter. Close Dosbox and use this new dosbox.conf for settings.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Asking about it was my way of prompting the original poster to go back to the documentation, read up on the SDL-options, and in the process learn a thing or two. That is part of my modus operandi - to encourage people to learn enough to solve the problems themselves instead of spoonfeeding them an answer.

Your intent did not come across to me. It probably did not make it to others either. A more direct statement would have been more useful.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understood you MiniMax.

Mabye DosBox should have a check for older versions? If the version # does not match in the comment section in DosBox.conf then it throws up an error?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline