VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings fellas.

I'm using Dosbox .72 ported for the Nokia N800.

I'm trying to play the DOS version of Nethack.

The problem is that Dosbox runs so chunky that whenever I press a key, say for direction, by the time Dosbox picks up on what I pressed, it executes that several times.

So instead of my character just going left, it goes left, left, left, then left again.

Is there any type of option or configuration to get rid of this auto rapid fire key recognition?

I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible for Dosbox to only accept one key at a time and not repeat it unless the same exact key is pressed again.

Hope I making some sense on this.

Any comments will surely be welcomed. 😀

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you're sure that device is powerful enough to to let dosbox run the games in question, and you already played with the cycles, then you're better off asking the guy who ported dosbox.

Reply 2 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked up the Nokia N800 and found out the CPU is roughly 330 MHz.
To date my rule-of-thumb has been to apply a 10 times factor for CPU to dosbox performance. Very rough approximation from my circumstances, of course.
Assuming that it applies to the Nokia, I would presume that it should be able to run dos apps that need roughly 33 MHz performance.
No idea how much nethack on dos requires.
If it's too much, there is apparently a nethack port to the Nokia N800 at
http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/
Might work a bit better.

Reply 3 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's some funky math. Processor frequency does not equal processor speed, not even roughly. There's so many more things to consider to "rate" a performance level - architecture (why is a 1,6 Ghz Dual Core usually faster than a 3 Ghz P4?), optimization (mobile processors are optimized for low power usage, not high performance - why aren't there any 3 Ghz P4's in mobiles and PDA's?), surrounding hardware, etc. .

I dind't try DOSBox on a mobile device yet, but considering the fact that DOSBox is quite CPU-intensive, i'd say it would probably take a lot of tweaking to make games run at good speed on such a device. Another thing to sconsider is how keyboard input is handled by the game. I have some DOS applications that use up all my host's CPU power (it's a P4 2.6 Ghz) when cycles are set to "max", and the app is just sitting at a prompt, waiting for input and doing nothing. I'm no coder, but i guess this is connected to how input is handled by the app. Might be a similar effect with the game you're trying to run.

Reply 4 of 10, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:

That's some funky math. Processor frequency does not equal processor speed, not even roughly. There's so many more things to consider to "rate" a performance level - architecture (why is a 1,6 Ghz Dual Core usually faster than a 3 Ghz P4?), optimization (mobile processors are optimized for low power usage, not high performance - why aren't there any 3 Ghz P4's in mobiles and PDA's?), surrounding hardware, etc. .

...Very rough approximation from my circumstances...

ADDiCT wrote:

I have some DOS applications that use up all my host's CPU power (it's a P4 2.6 Ghz) when cycles are set to "max", and the app is just sitting at a prompt, waiting for input and doing nothing. I'm no coder, but i guess this is connected to how input is handled by the app. Might be a similar effect with the game you're trying to run.

Good point.

Reply 5 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well that's how max works, it max'es out your processor. If it didn't,
then the implementation would be wrong.
Basically the logic is wrong for the "just sits there" because it doesn't,
it executes callbacks, the idle loop etc.

Reply 6 of 10, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the settings I've got right now are:
frameskip = 0
cyclespeed = 1144

Does that sound about right?

Also, is there anything else I can do in the dosbox.config file to speed up text based rogue games?

Thanks. 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by pupnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you definitely need a higher frameskip!

Try a frameskip of 3-4.

cpu cycles with that frameskip should be around 800 on a 770 or 1100-1200 on a N800.

use my dosbox.conf as a starting point. it is optimized for 770.

Reply 9 of 10, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, will do Pupnik.

Just to repeat my first question again though...

There's not an option in Dosbox to kill the keyboard buffer so keys don't tend to repeat themselves like crazy?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention Pupnik/ArnimS that your default Dosbox.conf file for Dosbox .72 had the speed running at MAXCYCLES for my N800 which crashed the engine. That's why I've been trying to tweak the settings a little.

Reply 10 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There's not an option in Dosbox to kill the keyboard buffer so keys don't tend to repeat themselves like crazy?

No, because the feature "addkeysthemselveslikecrazy" isn't implemented,
therefore it can't be disabled.