VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SW48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use the excellent Dosbox to play an old baseball game called Earl Weaver Baseball. Anyone who has played this game knows it has the worst looking green for grass of any game ever made. Almost a flourescent green that hurts the eyes.

Is there anything that can be done in dosbox or any other software program that can actually change the color of a game?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Dale

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try running gray.com program before running the game. I programmed it with debug. It just calls an INT10h function to perform grayscale summing in VGA. It turns everything grayscale.

*** fckng crp, ZIP is bigger than com ***

Attachments

• Filename
    GRAY.ZIP
    File size
    125 Bytes
    Downloads
    200 downloads
    File comment
    Calls INT10h function to perform grayscale summing on VGA cards.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 9, by SW48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That was interesting. Unfortunately it turned the ball grey too and I couldn't see it to hit it.

Thanks for the program though.

Dale

Anyone else have any ideas. A program that can be set to change a color into another color before running the game?

Reply 3 of 9, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try ykhwong's build (http://ykhwong.x-y.net) and set output to Direct3D. It provides lots of D3D pixel shader modes (like e.g. amber, green, orange, cartoon etc.).

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

couldn't you just adjust the monitor settings when playing this game?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Low-tech solution would be to wear red-tinted glasses perhaps.. Alternatively, you could probably do something with a similar effect by adjusting the color components in a graphics driver. Depending on how you installed your driver, you may or not have it.. but it should be possible to get an adjustable color graph that would allow you to turn down the green.

el_pusher's idea is interesting.. It could be solved in that way, but would take a bit of effort.

Reply 7 of 9, by SW48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually ykhwongs dosbox build was a good idea. With the Direct3D and one of the pixel shader modes the green was more tolerable, but out of 3 games i played with it, 2 games froze up, something the original dosbox has never done.