VOGONS

Common searches

What happened to D-Fend

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks - but i'll stick with D-Fend as long as it runs the games I want to play! 😀 Maybe one day i'll need to go to another front end, but for now, as you know Erik, DFend has given me less problems than any other front end.

Reply 22 of 33, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

but for now, as you know Erik, DFend has given me less problems than any other front end.

I know that you had problems with D.O.G. but I still don't know what happened to your installation as I never found out what was wrong.

Of the 11000 downloads of D.O.G. 1.53 I never had any other report of that "bug", so this one bug report got scratched.

Anyways, have fun,

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 24 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Erik, how many of those 11,000 downloads tried to utilize the D-FEND profile import into D.O.G. which was my problem. So I am not surprised at your quote I was the only one. But in any event, I tried D.O.G. and had problems. Never had to email or get support for the D-Fend program ever, and have used it almost exclusively for over a year.

But when DOSBox gets upgraded to the point that maybe D-Fend doesn't work any more, D.O.G. will be the first new front end I will try! 😀

Reply 26 of 33, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well you aren't the only one using D.O.G.'s importing feature. I always use the DFend feature to create very large test sets, +20000 profiles.
I had almost a few 100 people using the feature.

Also asking for support and getting it for free software is always better then not getting any at all for paid for software.

There were some very minor problems with the scaler option of DFend prof files of other languaged systems, "the 1.0 or 1,0 problem", this one is now fixed.
Also the import dialogs got a small visual update, it now shows all problems with the DFend import feature.

All these things would never have been part of D.O.G. 1.54 if somebody pointed me to the problem they were having. If you check DFends history, if you still can find it, Mabus also had a lot of bugs over the years. Some of wich he would never had fixed if they were not reported by his users.
And also D.O.G. and DBGL are not even a year old, so expect some minor issues.

I would recommend to try D.O.G. 1.54 again.

Greets,

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 29 of 33, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to like an older one called Boxer that I used with DOSBox 0.60 to 0.63. The developers stopped updating it and 0.65 had features that it didn't support so I just switched to doing everything manually. It's not that hard to edit a .conf file instead of having to have it loaded into a graphical interface.
I make a custom .conf file then just run it:
D:\Emulators\DOSBox-0.71\dosbox.exe -conf mygame.conf
If I want to get fancy, I put that line in notepad, save it as mygame.bat, and create an icon for the .bat file.

Many times I will just load DOSBox then load Norton Commander and run stuff from it. That's what I used for a frontend for real DOS back in the day, and with DOSBox I get more free conventional memory than I ever had with the real thing.

Reply 30 of 33, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No disrespect but working with an outdated program and an outdated Dosbox just because you're unwilling to try the much better and updated front ends out there is pretty silly at best. Not to mention wasted time because you'll have to remake all profiles when you eventually make the move so you might as well do it now. The DBGL is superior to D-Fend and is incredibly easy to work with - all you need to do is install Java and that's it.

Reply 31 of 33, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I may add my 2 cents, this is what happens when you bet on closed-source proprietary software, even if it is free of charge. If D-Fend had been under GPL the problem would not exist, as you (or anybody still interested in it who has the needed skills) could update it yourself.

Similar to what happened to DVDshrink or DVD Decrypter. One person pulls the plug (or is forced to pull the plug) and everybody else is left in the cold.

So be smart and choose an open sourced front end next time.

tearex

Reply 32 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TeaRex - sometimes you don't know that when the programmer pulls the plug, the utility is going to disappear. You can go to many sites to download something, but you don't know they all go to just one or two servers and when the programmer pulls the plug you still have dozens of places you can go to (like with D-fend now) to download something, but get either the 404 page or as in D-Fend, a page telling you the program has been pulled. I bet even now, there are over 50 sites with a download link for D-fend that no longer works, and I bet that will still be the case a year from now.