VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cisco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that it sounds useless at first sight, but it's necessary if you want to connect your PC in DOS mode (for emulators and such) to a TV or arcade machine through VGA to RGB cable and drivers, that accept you use some DOS games but not all, depending on how they use the graphics, not to mention that no EGA or CGA games work at all.

As DOSBOX emulates them all through VGA I think that it will increase compatibility of games that work through TV.

I don't know if I'm asking for a useless thing, but will be very useful for me a compilated version for DOS or instructions on how to compile it.

Thank you very much!

Reply 4 of 17, by cisco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I have a dos based notebook full of emulators that run perfectly through a vga to scart cable on TV and arcade machines (this is NOT possible to do with s-video or composite outputs).

I can play some DOS games throught it, but some others not, specially those ones not designed to show graphics through VGA (CGA, EGA, Tandy).

Reply 8 of 17, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it emulates early PCs, such as the Amstrad PC512. It needs system disks, which you can obtain through WinImage. There's a DOS version that is no longer updated, last release was 0.89. I don't know how advanced the PC driver is, but it's worth trying.

Reply 9 of 17, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It can be downloaded from the official MESS page.
It can emulate SOME games through the following drivers:

-EURO PC (CGA)
-PC MDA (Monochrome Display Adapter, CRT only, no CGA)
-PC XT VGA (sperimental, meaning most games won't work)
-PC CGA

All of the above with Adlib/Soundblaster support.
Read the MESS documentation for keyboard issues.
You can't use virtual hard disks, yet you may use floppy images (you can't mount directories as in DOSBox); you can create such images using WinImage.

In order to have sound support you need your audio board drivers for DOS to be installed and active.

Reply 12 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My old All-in-Wonder Pro seemed to be capable of outputting everything to a television screen straight from bootup, including text mode. (Granted, I never tried running CGA or EGA games after hooking it up to a TV, but text mode isn't VGA either.)

It used to make me wonder what all the fuss was about with getting Linux and whatnot working with TV cards.

Reply 13 of 17, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I can remember from my DOS gaming days, neither CGA nor EGA should be a problem, VGA is supposed to be backwards compatible with them. But I do remember butterfly saying that Hercules wasn't. More info at:

UniCGA CGA emulator for Hercules

Reply 14 of 17, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are talking about the software side. The physical signals (refresh rates) are very different. Funny enough, text mode on a VGA card is more or less like the VGA 640x400 graphics mode on the signal side.

Reply 15 of 17, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know how to be technical about this but, as to what I can remember, modern VGA's aren't fully compatable to older VGA's.
I remember trying an old PC demo version of X-Men Children of the Atom, or a similar game, getting the screen split in four screens, each one overlayed by sprites from eachother.
I can also remember a few more games used to do that but I can't remeber which ones.

Reply 16 of 17, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

It used to make me wonder what all the fuss was about with getting Linux and whatnot working with TV cards.

That's probably about TV capture cards, not cards doing TV output (which do not require any software).

JAL

Reply 17 of 17, by ninjalj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jal wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

That's probably about TV capture cards, not cards doing TV output (which do not require any software).

TV output _requires_ software. TV output is normally done by external encoders, which require initializing, mode setting (PAL vs NTSC), etc... Now, some card's BIOSes may do that stuff at boot (probably only when a TV is connected), but even then, BIOS is software.