VOGONS

Common searches

Vista testing help needed !

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 41, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a new PC and have been playing around with dosbox on it. I use Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I can confirm that both 0.70 and the latest cvs crash with either opengl or opengnb as an output mode. The game I used for testing is Tomb Raider and I run it in full screen, cycles auto, core auto (it automatically switches to dynamic, max cycles). It crashes right after I see the logo and press esc to skip the intro - the main menu never appears and the screen turns black so I just close dosbox.exe. Directdraw, on the other hand, works perfectly on both versions and I actually have always been using surface on XP, and now I use ddraw on Vista. I think these two modes work just fine.

Something else that I can suggest is that the dosbox.conf file be moved to another location because it is in read-only mode in program files/dosbox 0.70 and notepad cannot modify it and as a workaround I have copied the dosbox.conf in another location, edit it there and copy it over to program files/dosbox (vista asks for file operation confirmation) but it is a hassle; another option would be to install dosbox somewhere else. And as a side note I can say that my games directory is not in program files so games in dosbox have no writing problems.

Reply 22 of 41, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have not had any crashing yet but I do notice sound skipping and possibly a bit of slowdown when using either opengl or openglnb with both 0.70 and 0.71rc1.
I have a dual boot with xp and vista, and it is the same on both. I am running an ati x1900 and have always had trouble running opengl output in dosbox.
I downloaded the 7.7 drivers tody and will see if they help any, though I doubt they will.

As a side note, when I ran the rc1 installer in vista, a box popped up saying that the application may not have installed properly, and asked if I wanted to re-install using the recommended compatibility settings. The installer failed to create a desktop shortcut, but otherwise seems o.k.

Reply 23 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

0.71rc1 installer doesn't install a thing to the desktop.
The warning is unfortunate though. Would have to track down which part of the installer causes the warning.
Did 0.70 installer such a warning as well ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 29 of 41, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently came accros this document that explains a lot of things when compiling programs for Vista. It is for Delphi but it contains also good stuff for other programming languages.

http://www.delphi.org.nz/file.php/1/VistaUACandDelphi.pdf

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 30 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

tannerstevo,
could you try 0.65 ?
I think that the win 9x / win Nt detection command might cause the error flag. (added in 0.70)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 33 of 41, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DBGL? It executes something like

D:\tmp\dbgl\DOSBoxCVS\dosbox.exe -conf dosbox.conf -conf D:\tmp\dbgl\profiles\0.conf

with the working directory set to the appropriate dosbox dir. You may want to watch the console output (run DBGL with dbglcons.cmd) to see how your profiles are being started.

Reply 34 of 41, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Java uses DirectX I think. Vista might not be too fond of using OpenGL and DirectX simultaneously. And like any other fresh-made cheese Vista has to ripen some time before it can be enjoyed.

Reply 35 of 41, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well with 0.70 I had not a single crash - using identical set ups it crashed 0.71 yet 0.70 ran fine. And considering Vista *runs* on DirectX (as in, the entire GUI is DirectX) it would be silly if OpenGL caused so much instability. In fact, I successfully tested many old OpenGL games in Vista (Deus Ex for example looks better in OpenGL and I completed the game without a single crash).

Reply 38 of 41, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Qbix,

I tried installing 0.65 and got the same message

Attachments

• vista error.PNG
    Filename
    vista error.PNG
    File size
    45.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 39 of 41, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe that error dialog is presented for DOSBox as (AFAIK) it does not add an Uninstall key to the system. I don't really understand why the team decided DOSBox didn't need an uninstall option...

There might be ways of getting around it using the current installer product - I don't know personally as I only develop MSI's myself 😀 You could always flip to an MSI using the WiX toolset - very easy... though I'm sure you've got better things to do 😉