Common searches

Raw OPL?

Topic actions

First post, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I've got a question about capturing raw OPL data... 😖

I have managed to get a bunch of OPL captured from music from some of my favorite old games. Now what do I do? My Voyetra program can't open the file and neither can anything else I have. What program would I use to manipulate the data Dosbox snagged...in short I have the music - now what do I do with it?! 😒

Give us a 640 x 480 screen, 256 colors, some time, and my own imagination...and we can *still* make exciting and beautiful games for decades to come.

Reply 1 of 2, by jEstAr jOkiN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you just want to play it, you can get a plugin for Winamp called AdPlug that supports DRO files.

If you want to edit it, your options are limited. There's an old editor floating around on the net called DRO-ED, unfortunately it expects an old version of the file format, and saves it to a proprietary version of the file format that is not recognised by anything. If you feel like getting technical, you can get it to read more recent dumps through a bit of hex editing (I think you need to change the DRO format version number from 4 bytes to 1).

However, I have made a simple little tool called "DRO Trimmer" that I will be releasing to these forums sometime soon (I need somewhere to put it, first). It is pretty unsophisticated, but it will let you delete any instructions you desire. It also has the ability to try to detect looping portions in a song, but this doesn't work very well.

If you want to view/edit it like MIDI, well, that's pretty much unfeasible. There are oldschool Adlib trackers out there, but they save in their own formats (e.g. I know Scream Tracker 3 can let you make OPL/Adlib songs), and they require DOS (not so much a problem). None of them support DRO files.

Reply 2 of 2, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tell your computer to monitor wave out and then just use windows sound recorder in conjuncion with dosbox to record stuff as wave files... its what i do usually for programs with odd ball music formats.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website