VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kLy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm running Mac OS X with Dosbox at the moment. What I can't figure out how to do is swap CDs (or alternatively images) during a game. As OS X does not allow you to unmount / eject a disc when it's in use (just like Linux and other *nixes), I can't eject a CD to insert a new one while in Dosbox. The alternative is to get images of the CDs and swap those, but there doesn't seem to be an option for that either. Can someone help?

Thanks!
kLy

Reply 1 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know how. It is a bit tricky. Some combination of swapping the CD's at the underlying operating system level (OSX), and then using CTRL-F4 (I think) inside DOSBox to have it refresh its idea of which files/directories that are available on the mouted devices.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't know about OSX but *nix does have programs to mount CD images (you can also just mount plain old .iso's in *nix without any 3rd party programs).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by kLy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

Thanks for the replies.

I have no problems mounting and unmounting images in OS X (it can do so natively... you don't even need to mount -o loop etc.), the problem is mounting them in DOSBOX 🙁

Also, it mounts to /Volumes/X where X is the volume label, and since the different CDs will have different labels, the mount point will change each time. Regardless, you can't unmount it if it's in use, whether this is os x or linux and that's the main thing. There doesn't seem to be a low level mount in Dosbox (ie. accessing /dev/hdb etc.) only a high level one that points to something in the actual filesystem.

Reply 4 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Anything here that will help with the un-mounting?
http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=2259
http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/08-2002/08-12.ws
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darw … /hdiutil.1.html
(I see there is a unmount -force option for that hdiutil)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by kLy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah 🙁 Has no one came across this problem before? I'm sure there's dozens of games on multiple CDs. Even if there is a way to get the hacked unmount to forcibly happen, I'll have to probably create symlinks etc. since the mount points will be different for the different discs... it's rather a pain for changing CDs, espacially in those games where CD changing happens every few minutes of game time (which is most of the DOS multi-CD games) 🙁 Dosbox should seriously include something to do this more easily, or at least have a iso equivalent to the floppy image swaps 🙁

Reply 7 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, there's a patch for DosBox for .ISO swapping. I don't know if it's in the CVS though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline