Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 861 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. The wizard will most likely need a lot of tweaking still to make it really user-friendly, but for the moment I hope that especially novice users will find it a useful feature.

Reply 862 of 1968, by gbbbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@rcblanke

any chance to implement run external programs ? like xppader ... ?

one question btw,
why if i consult moby games for infos, dont show all screenshots on the right side ? they show me many screenshots and cover arts but not all ... in wich priority works the search ?

Reply 863 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gbbbs wrote:

Maybe, but no priority at the moment.

gbbbs wrote:

why if i consult moby games for infos, dont show all screenshots on the right side ? they show me many screenshots and cover arts but not all ... in wich priority works the search ?

Can you give me an example of such a case? What game title did you search ?

Reply 864 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

A small update (0.73g) to fix some minor issues I've found:

* Fixed game 'prepare' to switch to the target drive correctly
* When browsing inside a .ima file, treat a missing boot sector signature to be non-fatal (like DOSBox does)
* synchronized translation files (some are quite a bit behind, hint hint 😉 ).
* properly close streams after reading 7-zip gpa
* Remember some of the last-used settings in the add game wizard

All the latest files

To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual.

This will most likely be the last test-build unless more serious issues pop up.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 865 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

A small update (0.73g) to fix some minor issues I've found:

* When browsing inside a .ima file, treat a missing boot sector signature to be non-fatal (like DOSBox does)
* synchronized translation files (some are quite a bit behind, hint hint 😉 ).
* properly close streams after reading 7-zip gpa
* Remember some of the last-used settings in the add game wizard

[...]

Regards,
Ronald

I plan to update my Spanish translation as soon as a stable version appears. Of course, if no further changes are to be made to the texts, I can start as soon as you want.

Reply 870 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Hi all,

Ronald,

Do you think that will fix an issue I've been seeing, where DBGL has trouble seeing files off of my network drive post boot-up?

Currently, I seem to need to browse to the relevent location before things are seen. Likely related to needing to run DBGL as Admin due to prior issues with Windows UAC (User Access Controls) preventing DBGL from writing files in it's directory.

Reply 871 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spanish translation updated. I may still review it later, but just in case...

Attachments

Reply 872 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:
Ronald, […]
Show full quote
rcblanke wrote:

Hi all,

Ronald,

Do you think that will fix an issue I've been seeing, where DBGL has trouble seeing files off of my network drive post boot-up?

Currently, I seem to need to browse to the relevent location before things are seen. Likely related to needing to run DBGL as Admin due to prior issues with Windows UAC (User Access Controls) preventing DBGL from writing files in it's directory.

Hrm, it does not.

So, the current rundown is, under Windows 7 (and likely Vista) /w UAC on, trying to run the DBGL results in a DB error. Seems related to Windows preventing write access to the files used.

The solution Windows provides to that issue is to run an application as an Administrator (not a very good solution, but I'll try to keep my UAC griping minimal), which enables them to read/write files at will. However, Windows apparently considers additional security restrictions on network resources, and doesn't transfer them between users. Due to that, existing network drive mappings are not shared with the Admin user. They need to be explicitly re-established, simply browsing into the folders in a file dialog does so, but it's irksome.

The alternate solution to this issue is to not launch DBGL from the default "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders. So, for now I have an additional "Program Files (UAC Off)" folder, which seems to avoid the nonsense.

Reply 873 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point, Kolano. The

solution to this issue is to not launch DBGL from the default "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders

is correct. I might have to look into that sometime to make it more flexible, but without loosing the portability of course.

Reply 874 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Good point, Kolano. The

solution to this issue is to not launch DBGL from the default "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders

is correct. I might have to look into that sometime to make it more flexible, but without loosing the portability of course.

You may also want to provide a note regarding that on the DBGL homepage.

Reply 876 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about changing the extension of the database files to something that will be written to the VirtualStore?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 877 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, I had no idea that the VirtualStore mechanism looks at file extensions. Unfortunately, it seems that HSQLDB (the database engine) does not allow configuration of the file extensions used 😒

Reply 878 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a way to redirect to the user's %AppData%? I guess that if so, you would also want to make it configurable to use either absolute paths (for hard drive installs) or relative paths (for portable purposes).

Reply 879 of 1968, by gbbbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
Maybe, but no priority at the moment. […]
Show full quote
gbbbs wrote:

Maybe, but no priority at the moment.

gbbbs wrote:

Can you give me an example of such a case? What game title did you search ?

Many games ...

example Realms of the haunting :

realmo2pqw.jpg

but it have much more cover arts :

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/realms-of-t … nting/cover-art